• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Welder/redrilled bolt pattern on Aluminum wheels.

tbburg

NAXJA Forum User
Walked by a car in the lot today and something caught my eye. Just looked wrong. On closer inspection, this is what caught my attention:
. . . . .
Thumbnail images are links to larger photos at photobucket.com

These were originally dual-pattern 5-bolt rims, which have been welded up and re-drilled to a 4-bolt pattern. One of the little things I learned in college was something about aluminum loosing all temper/hardening/heat treatment if it's heated enough to burn carbon off the surface(about 500 deg.) Based on that, this is VERY scary to me. So,..

Have any of you seen anything like this?

Would yo consider doing something like this?

Would you run it on your rig?

If I had done it myself, I would trust a welded wheel, but the secret is in how you weld it.

Since the wheels are on a Scion xB crackerbox, the wheel style doesn't really matter. The only thing that could help would be a flamethrower, followed by explosives.

I was more interested in the safety and practicality aspects.

Honestly, I think the welding is the thing that I would be least concerned about. It looks like whoever did the work made sure to keep the new holes centered so the rotation would be true. The only thing that bothers me is that the lug studs appear to be too short. The threads only look to come to the end of the lugnut, I'd be worried about full thread engagement.

Aluminum rims are about the one thing that should NEVER be welded. I repeat never. There are about only 2 things I wouldn't weld an aluminum rim and a tongue hitch on a trailer. Lots of people plug weld the holes instead of using nuts and bolts. If any of those weld fail going down the road and cause a deadly accident the person who welded them can be held liable.

Back