• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water instead of GAS

greychalet

NAXJA Forum User
Long story short....poured 2 gal from gas can into empty tank.....

Now liquid at fuel rail is not flammable with a lighter!!!! This is after 1 bottle heet and 7 gal. new GAS added. Depressed valve on fuel rail while cranking it doesn't even smell like gas....IT WATER. Did I kill my 4.0? Planning to drain with fuel pump jumper in the morning....am I too late?

I assume you pulled and drained the tank? You've got to remove the water. HEET isn't going to displace 2 gallons of water.

Pull and drain the tank, pull and drain as much of the fuel lines as you can, replace any filters and fill it back up. Then add a bottle of HEET.

It's still going to run like crap for a bit but you'll eventually get it all out.

Thanx for the reply. I will drain and refill in the morning. But did I damage anything by trying to start it with water? Thanx again.

WTF is it with people storing water in a gas can?
My Nephew did this and we had to drain the tank much like cruser suggested,
Then add heat and a full tank of fresh gas.

Do not forget to change your oil afterwards.

Ron

IMO... I would drop the tank to drain it ant let it stand, opening down, to make sure all of the water is extracted. Any of it left will be an issue.

Take into consideration that the fuel pump sits in a "can" that holds fuel to act as coolant for the pump. Even if the tank is pumped "dry" that water will remain surrounding the pump which is an issue.

Would be handy to know what year your XJ is as that matters a bit. I might also be inclined to heat the tank (out of the Jeep) to drive off the water vapours. So, the heat source matters if it is a late model plastic tank...

IMO... I would drop the tank to drain it ant let it stand, opening down, to make sure all of the water is extracted. Any of it left will be an issue.

Take into consideration that the fuel pump sits in a "can" that holds fuel to act as coolant for the pump. Even if the tank is pumped "dry" that water will remain surrounding the pump which is an issue.

Would be handy to know what year your XJ is as that matters a bit. I might also be inclined to heat the tank (out of the Jeep) to drive off the water vapours. So, the heat source matters if it is a late model plastic tank...

Yeah, I'd want to pull the tank. I wouldn't be happy until I knew it was completely empty.

Consider obtaining a gallon of acetone.., certainly cheaper than "heet". I use a couple of ounces per tank fill, (using a turkey baster), in a 4 banger, as well as my XJ for years. Great stuff. Google it if you want to know more. Claim is is that it is a much better 'dryer', and seems to aid, (although small), in better mileage too.

Moreover, I pour an ounce of 2-stroke oil prior to adding acetone, and then the gasoline, i.e., 1 oz., 2 oz., and then complete the fill-up at the pump.

UPDATE:

O.K. I have to confess that I dumped ?rainwater? in my Jeep TJ not my or the wife's XJ. We have qty. 4 4.0liter jeeps in the driveway and NAXJA is hands down my favorite board.....Sorry.

Anyway, yesterday I jumped pins 3 and 5 on PDC fuel pump relay and pulled valve stem from fuel rail. Drained a few gallons hooked everything back up and was able to get it to fire. Ran like hell but whatever. Jumpered pump and ran until empty. Dropped tank and removed filler hose and vent. Could not empty through filler or top vents, not a drop. Pulled fuel pump and drained that way. Had a hell of a time screwing fuel pump nut down. Kept trying to cross thread on me. Took FOREVER. Then compressed air thru fuel line,poured heet and blew that thru. Did not pull any injectors or fuel rail. Just blew thru test port and poured some heet in rail. Gonna put back together this afternoon. Once she runs right I'll drain and fill oil. Thanx to all who responded....:peace:

Consider obtaining a gallon of acetone.., certainly cheaper than "heet". I use a couple of ounces per tank fill, (using a turkey baster), in a 4 banger, as well as my XJ for years. Great stuff. Google it if you want to know more. Claim is is that it is a much better 'dryer', and seems to aid, (although small), in better mileage too.

Moreover, I pour an ounce of 2-stroke oil prior to adding acetone, and then the gasoline, i.e., 1 oz., 2 oz., and then complete the fill-up at the pump.

Thanx for the tip. The reason I had HEET on hand was I use it in my backpack alcohol stove as fuel.

Have never thought of acetone. For winterizing my small engines I use sea foam, just because the mech. at the shop I bought my last generator at was so keen on it. He said he makes a killing cleaning varnish out of carbs....

I have been known to pour my old or unknown age 2-cycle MIX (1 gal) into my tank on occasion to get rid of it.

I may be rethinking this after recent event....:eyes:

Why not throw half to a full gallon of E85 (if available) in the tank? The ethanol should absorb what ever water you can't get out and just run it through the fuel system and engine and will be cheaper than Heet by volume.

Back