• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Use same relays for AC,PL,FP,O2,Fan?

rickoregon

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched, but couldn't find the info. I have an '89 XJ, 4.0, auto, a/c.

Trying to figure out what relays to buy as suitable replacements.

I notice in our '87 donor that the four relays in the power distribution area are all the same (8933001777, color blue, 5 legs), while the fan relay is 8936003046, color black, made in Italy, had been 5 legs, but one leg at the 87a position in the center appears to have been snipped, perhaps at the factory).

However, in our '89, that I'm working on right now, three of the pow. distrib. relays have no part number, color black, made in Canada (Dualtex Electronics), are 5 legged, and the fourth is 0 332 204 159, color gray, Bosch, 5 legs). The fan relay is 0 332 204 162, color light blue/gray, Bosch, 5 legs.

What are the correct relays to use for each socket? Can I use all the same type?

Also, where's a good online source for the relays?

Thanks, Rick

--
Rick & Kate Johnson
Venice Ranch, Burns, Oregon 97720
http://home.centurytel.net/venice/

As far as I know, you can use all the same relays. I don't know what's a good source for them other than the junkyard or other cars. They're pretty common. I think they're a DIN standard pattern, shared with many other vehicles, and it seems Jeep has used numerous different brands at different times, even Lucas!

They are DIN 30A relays, similar to those used by Hella for their wiring kits and first made by Robert Bosch AG.

Any 30A DIN relay will work (check to make sure, since there are two types. There is a "switchover" or SPDT relay, which can be distinguished by having terminals 87 and 87a. The "parallel," or DPST, relay, has two 87 terminals and no 87a. You'll probably find that all of yours are SPDT - they are on my 87, my 88, and both my 89's.)

You can get Bosch DIN 30A relays from Parts Express for about $3 each, and I usually buy them by the dozen (I use them in a wide variety of electrical mods as well.)

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=330-070

5-90

Matthew: Thanks for the information.

5-90: As always I appreciate your help. The online source was especially helpful. I ordered 10, plus a bunch of other stuff... Now, if those relays work and hold up at $1.99 each, I'll be in your debt. Most relays I've seen priced for this jeep are in the neighborhood of $7 to $20 a pop!

Thanks much, Rick

Should be fine - I've been getting those relays for a little while now - and mine have always come in marked Bosch (I don't get the knock-off version - the extra buck is money well spent, y'ask me.)

Remember - a lot of saving money is little more than knowing where to look...

5-90

Kate and I just returned from Tahoe where one of our daughters was married in a nice ceremony on the beach, followed by a reception for close family and friends at our cabin - turned out to be a great day for all. First time we've done this, so we were surprised that we survived! :cool:

The relays had arrived while we were away, and they are Bosch, just like you said. Seem to be almost identical to the originals in the '89 XJ, except the new relays are black with a tab that sticks up on one side that looks like it is intended to be secured with a screw. Thanks again for pointing me to a good source.

Back