• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TSF "Breakdown" Run: 7/1/12

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
As burned out as I am on the good ol' TSF, I figured I had to be there for today's run. Ben (BPB) was taking the "Quad Trails" Comanche out for it's first shakedown run on the legitimate trails. We also had a decent amount of interest on the forum, so it was bound to be a fun and eventful day.

Since my junk is complete junk, I grabbed the co-dawg seat with Darren (Goblazers_6) at the last minute. We rendezvoused at BPB's at 0700, and hit the road. We were pulling into Rogers a few minutes past 8:00.

After a short wait, Eric (Dellstopjeep) rolled in towing Ben's MJ.
IMG_0002.jpg

Ben's buddy Alan came out for the day with his K5 Jimmy. Honestly, I just came out to see these two on the trails.
IMG_0004.jpg

Jeremy rolled in with the last of the trailer queens.
IMG_0010.jpg

Good sized group for the day, upwards of 10 rigs I believe. Fred in his one of a kind XC also joined us.
IMG_0012.jpg

Admiring the details on Quad Trail's.
IMG_0008.jpg

In traditional NWC style we were rolling out around 9:30.
IMG_0014.jpg

First trail was Powerline, we figured we needed to ease into the day slow.
IMG_0016.jpg

Next was University Firepower. The hill section was pretty soupy.
IMG_0022.jpg

Then we got bored and made a bee line to the Firebreak Five. Jeremy (98cherokee35's) led the way.
IMG_0028.jpg

Ben heading up feeling confident in his creation.
IMG_0030.jpg

He was so confident he chose the hard side. Unfortunately, the rock just in front of the rear tire ended up taking out his drive line.
IMG_0032.jpg

Major bummer.
IMG_0156.jpg

With Quad Trail's out the group pressed on. Darren one upped Ben with a flawless run through with Gold Cobra.
IMG_0035.jpg

John (Bronzewyrm) letting the new setup shine.
IMG_0042.jpg

Re: TSF Day Trip: 7/1/12

Everyone was glued in on Fred's XC.
IMG_0046.jpg

Josh (NW99XJ) putting the two tire fire to the ground.
IMG_0049.jpg

After the group got through the section formerly known as the Rock of Doom, Ben with a now front wheel drive only MJ, Alan, and Josh with a less modified Toyota pickup turned around and took the road around.

Ben and Alan then stashed their rigs at the start of the second section due to carnage and mechanical failure. The group moral definitely slumped during this time. Fortunately their were enough open seats for everyone to continue on. I didn't get too many pictures through the second and third sections mostly because I was too busy trying not to destroy Darren's LJ. TORX was behind the wheel.

The Toyota pickup needed a little tug on the third section. Some creative rigging got the right line rigged.
IMG_0057.jpg

Next up was the Northwest Chapter's trail (aka Eric's trail), Saddle Up. Josh heading up. This is likely the last picture of his original intact header panel. The line is to hug the right side bank. Josh took it a bit too high and blasted his header and fender.
IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

John now with Ben and Eric as passengers.
IMG_0076.jpg

Jeremy bringing up the tail.
IMG_0079.jpg

Since we were at the top, we figured we'd turn around and run it down.
IMG_0086.jpg

Gold Cobra.
IMG_0089.jpg

Alan grabbed and open seat with a Toyota that tagged along.
IMG_0090.jpg

We made good time over the top, and up Hogsback. Hogsback was Hogsback, no pictures. From there we made our way down Bumpy Downhill (formerly known as Rocky Uphill). Fog and clouds started to burn off, and to think today was the first day of July.
IMG_0092.jpg
IMG_0092.jpg

Darren was pretty excited when he saw this sign.
IMG_0094.jpg

Exiting Bumpy Downhill.
IMG_0095.jpg

Bottom of Can Opener we had a small leaf spring adjustment to do on the Toyota.
IMG_0097.jpg

Continuing down Archers, it was a good day.

Eventually we got to Waterfall where we found this behemoth.
IMG_0101.jpg

Trying the center line which is always entertaining, and really makes you second guess your choice in a "built XJ".

If we could self appoint our selves trails, Waterfall would be Jeremy's.
IMG_0102.jpg

After watching the group before us flog their junk on it, Jeremy had something to prove.

Fred.
IMG_0113.jpg

John then accepted it was his turn, and put his five years of line studying to the test.
IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

Clean run up, and best of all his header panel is still in one piece. Nice run, man!
IMG_0121.jpg

Darren yarded his LJ up, and followed suit.
IMG_0126.jpg

The Toyota was next up. He took a bad bounce and ended up a little far on the down hill side. He chose to Warn out of it, but his winch wasn't working. Alan got it working with a rock.
IMG_0134.jpg

Josh accepted the challenge and was next up. With a lock front, but open rear he was at a slight disadvantage. None the less with some patience, and good spotting he worked his way up.
IMG_0139.jpg

Darren getting the money shot.
IMG_0142.jpg

Determination paying off.
IMG_0144.jpg

Battle scar-age.
IMG_0148.jpg

Josh made it up under his own power, but at the top got a bit twisted. We put a strap on him to use as a spotters rope, and pulled him up. Victory. He did however tag his tie rod, and opted to use the local Tree Alignment Service Inc.
IMG_0150.jpg

After Waterfall we were all pretty much done, and started to find new surprises on the rigs. We traveled overland to fetch the MJ and K5, and then back to Rogers to load up.

There's always next time for Quad Trails.
IMG_0152.jpg

Towing back we had a top speed of 50mph behind Alan. At one point we stopped at the Gales Creek shell, waited 5 minutes, and then saw Alan pass with 37 cars behind him.
IMG_0154.jpg

It was a fun day on the trails as always. It was nice though to just ride passenger for the day. Thank you, Mr. President.

Well done Dustin.
Thanks for the write up and the pics.

well i thank ben for the invite to this one. i had a great day. and i enjoyed the company on the trails, alwase fun hanging with the woodland crew.

i started my day solo leaving indy about 7am. the drive was good, i stoped in mcMinville for some lunch stuff. i dident make the breakfast at colemans (im slow) so i stoped at the shell station for my new, good till 2014, ATV permit. first time i ran a tag out befor i sold the rig. he he im doing good! leaveing the station i hear some yelling and houting about channel 4, i look up to see ben and eric shouting at me from across the Highway. we then proceded to the stageing area. where Darin and Dustin were lying in wait in the Gold Cobra.
S7300006.jpg

the stageing area filld up fairly fast for the MJ Shakedown... or Breakdown rather:bs:.
S7300005.jpg

S7300010-1.jpg

After we quickly deligated jeromey the trail boss for the day. ( thankyou jeromey your a champ, i had a blast) we set out, in serch of FB5, by way of powerline, and uiniversaty firepower. not quite "jeep luge" but it was kinda hairy

some mud on the clean rigs after the decent.
S7300013-1.jpg

shortly after we hit FB5, ben was first at it, we parked expecting the first of manny shows out of ben for the day. sadly we were met by dustin "WERE DONE!" Well, ben landed on the driveline, while spinning 39.5 irocs... dustin was right about ben, he was done for the day... From here the theme of the day would be " Back up about a foot, and Bump it!" youll see why in the vids:dunno:
S7300015.jpg

A couple Awsome front dig videos!
http://s387.photobucket.com/albums/oo317/Bronzewyrm/quadtrails%20shakedown/?action=view&current=S7300016.mp4

http://s387.photobucket.com/albums/oo317/Bronzewyrm/quadtrails%20shakedown/?action=view&current=S7300017.mp4

Daren up Fb5

josh

THE Geo

all went well there, we had a good laugh waching the xc go on two wheels leaving the rock of doom, the continued on two the second section,

josh

Jeromey

on the third section we stoped for a bit of riging to get the open open yota up the trail.
S7300021.jpg

i slacked off on the later half of the trip for pics, we did rockey down hill, hogsback, i did my first tire lift shot. but nobody wanted my poser shot. it was all for eric and ben anyways, they were having wheel stand withdrawls at this point.

I did waterfall for the first time, after waching the v8 buggie on 44"bogers tear things up fora while. our group decided to run it. Jeromey thanks so much for coaching me throo it, the jeep did amazing and i still have my good, Great model header panel. thx agin man!

by the time we had made it to rock garden i knew something was way loose in my frontend... i blew out the tre @ the knuckle on the draglink. in 4x4 it was bad. in 2 it was manageable. i decided to drive it home waiving jeromey to the hw thinking i would have no problems. (he offered to follow me home incase i lost it) i made it home. it did 50mph, no more. all the way home. after a day of rideing with ben, im throwing all my tools away, and going with the pour in method fix for everything. im currently looking for a on tre fix in an arrasol form. as i have no more tools:shhh:

fun day great company, until next time fellas!

Nice Video's Jon!!!
Thanks for shooting those.
It was seeing YOU go up waterfall, that made me decide to do it....
It was great meeting you, and i'm looking forward to seeing you on the trails again soon.

Dustin and I got there for the 9am staging at 8am. Needless to say we were alone.
DSC_0007.jpg

Dustin however was happy to wait.
DSC_0011.jpg

We watched the others roll in one by one.
DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

Quadtrails:
DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

Allen
DSC_0036.jpg

Allen's Jimmy:
DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

BPB's shakedown run, and this is the first picture I have on the trail, the first real obstacle:
DSC_0038.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0043-1.jpg

DSC_0047-1.jpg

bronzewyrm:
DSC_0056.jpg

DSC_0054.jpg

NW99XJ:
DSC_0069.jpg

DSC_0071.jpg

Nice_yota_guy and 98cherokee35s:
DSC_0073.jpg

DSC_0079.jpg

DSC_0082.jpg

Gold Cobra:
DSC_0087.jpg

Josh's Saddle Up run:
DSC_0091.jpg

DSC_0095-1.jpg

DSC_0103-1.jpg

DSC_0120.jpg

DSC_0122-1.jpg

DSC_0123.jpg

DSC_0127-1.jpg

DSC_0157.jpg

DSC_0137.jpg

John, same thing minus the damage:
DSC_0138.jpg

DSC_0140.jpg

Jeremy:
DSC_0146.jpg

DSC_0149.jpg

DSC_0160.jpg

DSC_0165.jpg

Josh's run up waterfall:
DSC_0170.jpg

DSC_0194.jpg

DSC_0202.jpg

DSC_0209.jpg

Josh's serious face:
DSC_0215.jpg

DSC_0224.jpg

Who needs a winch when you have friends?
DSC_0228.jpg

DSC_0230.jpg

DSC_0234.jpg

DSC_0240.jpg

DSC_0255.jpg

How to straighten a tie-rod:
DSC_0246.jpg

DSC_0158.jpg

DSC_0174.jpg

DSC_0180.jpg

DSC_0176.jpg

DSC_0257.jpg

DSC_0259.jpg

Simply AMAZING Darren!!!!
Thanks for all the great photography work...
And thanks for everyone's help (and patience) with me as I popped my waterfall cherry...

Well... as it so happens, virtually all of my pics didn't really turn out, (i didn't take all that many to begin with)
....I don't know if I had gunk on my lens, if it was just settings, or my lack of a steady hand, In any case,
Darren and Dustin did a tremendous job in the photography department, so I don't feel too bad in coming up short in documenting this run.

This is about the only one that turned out decent enough to post, and I think represents the day's trail conditions well enough.
NAXJA7-7-12001.jpg

Back