• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trail Leaders Wanted

An Update:
Here is the schedule with the trail leaders I have signed up so far.
Please check your schedule and let me know if you have any issues with this.

I REALLY could do with a trail leader for Saturday's more difficult run (it is an excellent loop for those will well equiped rigs!!), several runs on Friday for those who are going to be here (Alex??, Rod??), and for Sunday's run for those who are not leaving "early"?

Thanks,
Michael

NW Fest 2010
June 25-27th
Naches, Washington

Friday, June 25th

Easy Run (if needed) Leave at 11:00AM (3Hrs up to Rock, 2Hrs back down)
1702, 1720, Bald Mt, C.J.R.s Hideout, Moon Rocks/Funny Rocks, Milk Lake, 1708

Moderate Run, Leave at 11:00AM (12 rig max) (4 Hrs up to Rocks, 2 Hrs back down)
1708, Lower Woodpecker, Upper Woodpecker, Summit to Moon Rocks/Funny Rocks, Milk Lake, 1708

Epic Run. Leave at 8:00AM (8 rigs max, 33’s and 1 TAD, Experience!!) 10 Hrs? Michael and Hans (don't need a trail leader)
Kaner Flats, Shoestring, Tripod Flats, Buck Meadows, Quartz Mt., Wells Meadow, Manastash Ridge, String (Rocks), Tipover, Upper Woodpecker, Lower Woodpecker.

Raven’s Roost Night Run (Leave1hr before Sunset)
Main road is not an issue for stock vehicles

Saturday, June 26th

Easy Run (Leave at 9:00AM) Dustin will trail lead.
1708, Milk Lake, Summit to Moon Rocks/Funny Rocks, 670 down to 1720.

Hard/Moderate 1 (Leave at 9:00AM, will be back by 3:00PM) (12 rig max) John will trail lead.
1708, Upper Woodpecker, Moon Rocks/Funny Rocks (several hours of play), Upper Woodpecker, Lower Woodpecker, 1708

Moderate Run 2 (Leave at 9:30AM) (12 rig max) Hans will trail lead.
1706, 1600 (Little Bald Mt), Mud Springs (696), Saw Mill Flats (1600) ??

Hard Run 2 (Leave at 8:30AM) (10 rig max) (4Hrs up to Rocks, 2 Hrs back down)
Kaner Flats, Manastash Ridge, String, Tipover, Tripod Flats, Summit, Moon Rocks/Funny Rocks, Upper Woodpecker, Lower Woodpecker, 1708.

Sunday, June 27th

Easy Run, Hans will trail lead.
Main Road up to Raven’s Roost and return.

Hard Run
Saw Mill Flats (1600), Lower Clover Springs (697), Upper Clover Springs (1605 4w696)

I know most of the trails reasonably enough, but probably not well enough to lead anybody. However, I'll volunteer to take a group up to Raven Roost if need be.

Saturday's "Easy Run" works fine with me. My goal is to be back at a reasonable time to help with dinner/raffle setup.

Also, for anyone who doesn't have a map of the area. Here's a link to the Forest Service's ORV Trail map. We'll be using the bottom three pages on the West side.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/wenatchee/cle-elum-orv/orv-maps.html

There's also a ranger station on Hwy 410 just south of Whistlin Jacks I believe, where you can pickup a National Forest map as well.

Another handy link I've had saved for awhile is www.nwjeepn.com. Look under Washinton Trails for the Manastash Ridge trails. They give decent directions on how to get there, and sometimes have GPS routes you can load as well.

If I thought I knew the trails well enough I'd lead. I took some people to the rocks a few times last year, as well as led a group to "explore" some trails...but I'd hate to be put in a leader position and no be able to follow through.

With that, the hard run 2 for Saturday looks like fun... I'd be willing to work map duty on attempting to lead with another if that's what it comes down to.

And I plan to head down Thursday night, so I could potentially lead some people up to the rocks via w/e the moderate trails were for that (can't recall the names) if I don't end up doing the epic run (if I'm allowed in that is).

~Scott

Michael, i have downloaded some GPS data and a cpl different maps. Give me a day or 2 to look them over and if i feel comfortable leading the hard run saturday i will let you know.

What are your estimates on time based on ? Does it include play time at the rocks ? I would hate for something to delay the run and not be back in time to help out Dustin with the evening activities etc...

Michael, i have downloaded some GPS data and a cpl different maps. Give me a day or 2 to look them over and if i feel comfortable leading the hard run saturday i will let you know.

What are your estimates on time based on ? Does it include play time at the rocks ? I would hate for something to delay the run and not be back in time to help out Dustin with the evening activities etc...

Thanks Rod, Let me know if you have any questions I can help with.
My time estimates are reasonable estimates for a group with NO breakdowns or long breaks. I have have done each of these trails in a small group MUCH faster, obviously in a large group it takes MUCH longer. Most of these trails can be modified to get back earlier if something happens to the group or it takes longer to complete than expected. It does not include time at the rock to play. Part of being a trail leader is making these judgement calls as necesary depending on how the group is performing on the trail.

Does this help?
Thanks,
Michael

So I believe we're still looking for the following?

-Friday Easy Run Leader
-Friday Moderate Run Leader
-Friday Night Run Leader

-Saturday Hard 2 Run Leader

-Sunday Moderate Run Leader

I think the big concern right now (at least for me) is finding some leaders for Friday. The Epic Run will likely take out a good portion of those familiar with the area. So if you're not participating in the Epic Run, and are interested in leading either group up to the rocks let us know. Look the routes up on the map, they're fairly straight forward up to the rocks.

Also, be thinking about which runs your going to be interested in. We'll have sign up forms available during check-in.

It might also help if those who are allowed in/chosen for the epic run are announced too, no?

That way people can plan the trails, and also plan their rigs.

I know if I were chosen for the epic run, I'd put a few extra things on the list of "to do"...or at least change priority.

~Scott

1. As trail leader I don't have issues with you changing the time or route of the trail ride within reason. The intent is for there to be a variety of trails for people to pick from.

2. If you have shown iterest in the Epic Run you should plan on being prepared for it. It is LIKELY that you will be allowed to attend at the moment. This could change but is my educated guess at the moment.

Michael

1. As trail leader I don't have issues with you changing the time or route of the trail ride within reason. The intent is for there to be a variety of trails for people to pick from.

2. If you have shown iterest in the Epic Run you should plan on being prepared for it. It is LIKELY that you will be allowed to attend at the moment. This could change but is my educated guess at the moment.

Michael

Fair enough, Michael, thanks.

You just cost me $$$$...at least I know where my paycheck will be going for the next month. haha

~Scott

Also, if anyone has a different plan for Friday that doesn't include going up to the rocks, let us know.

In addition to the Epic Run, maybe we could have one group leave as planned at 11 to head up to the rocks, and another group leave earlier that will concentrate more on trails in the non epic way (Kaner, Shoestring, Summit, Rocks, return on 1708).

Just a thought, I don't want to have people twiddling their thumbs come Friday morning.

Can we change the Friday departure to 9am? You heading out on Tuesday?
Departure time sounds fine to me. That should give the early risers a group to go with, and the Friday arrivals can catch the later run at 11.

I'll be heading out Tuesday as well.

We still need a leader for a Friday 11am "easy" run up to the rocks.

As well as a Ravens Roost night run leader (I'm not too concerned with this one).

Departure time sounds fine to me. That should give the early risers a group to go with, and the Friday arrivals can catch the later run at 11.

I'll be heading out Tuesday as well.

We still need a leader for a Friday 11am "easy" run up to the rocks.

As well as a Ravens Roost night run leader (I'm not too concerned with this one).

if Ken takes the hard run then i can take the 11am easy to the rocks. My kids will like this better than the hard run anyway.

Updated:
An Update:
Here is the schedule with the trail leaders I have signed up so far.
Please check your schedule and let me know if you have any issues with this.

Thanks,
Michael

Friday, June 25th

Easy Run: Leave at 11:00AM (3Hrs up to Rock, 2Hrs back down) Rod will trail lead.
1702, 1720, Bald Mt, C.J.R.s Hideout, Moon Rocks/Funny Rocks, Milk Lake, 1708

Moderate Run: Leave at 9:00AM (12 rig max) (4 Hrs up to Rocks, 2 Hrs back down) Ken will trail lead.
1708, Lower Woodpecker, Upper Woodpecker, Summit to Moon Rocks/Funny Rocks, Milk Lake, 1708

Epic Run: Leave at 8:00AM (8 rigs max, 33’s and 1 TAD, Experience!!) 10 Hrs? Michael and Hans will trail lead.
Kaner Flats, Shoestring, Tripod Flats, Buck Meadows, Quartz Mt., Wells Meadow, Manastash Ridge, String (Rocks), Tipover, Upper Woodpecker, Lower Woodpecker.

Raven’s Roost Night Run: (Leave1hr before Sunset)
Main road is not an issue for stock vehicles

Saturday, June 26th

Easy Run: (Leave at 9:00AM) Dustin will trail lead.
1708, Milk Lake, Summit to Moon Rocks/Funny Rocks, 670 down to 1720.

Hard/Moderate 1: (Leave at 9:00AM, will be back by 3:00PM) (12 rig max) John will trail lead.
1708, Upper Woodpecker, Moon Rocks/Funny Rocks (several hours of play), Upper Woodpecker, Lower Woodpecker, 1708

Moderate Run 2: (Leave at 9:30AM) (12 rig max) Hans will trail lead.
1706, 1600 (Little Bald Mt), Mud Springs (696), Saw Mill Flats (1600) ??

Hard Run 2: (Leave at 8:30AM) (10 rig max) (4Hrs up to Rocks, 2 Hrs back down) Ken will trail lead.
Kaner Flats, Manastash Ridge, String, Tipover, Tripod Flats, Summit, Moon Rocks/Funny Rocks, Upper Woodpecker, Lower Woodpecker, 1708.

Sunday, June 27th

Easy Run: Hans will trail lead.
Main Road up to Raven’s Roost and return.

Hard Run:
Saw Mill Flats (1600), Lower Clover Springs (697), Upper Clover Springs (1605 4w696)

I'm not going to worry about the Ravens Roost night run or Sunday morning Hard Run. I think both of those will depend on the amount of interest. Although, if anyone wants to volunteer for either one post up.

Thanks to the trail leaders for stepping up and volunteering!

Thanks to everyone who has stepped up to lead a trail ride.
I will bring sing up sheets for each of the trail rides so if you want to make changes to the time slots, etc please let me know so that I can have them as accurate as possible when people check in.

I will most likely lead the Sunday hard run, if there is anyone who isn't in a rush to head home.

Michael

Back