• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Timing chain and cover install questions

I used some cardboard and poked them through an outline of the TC as I went, so I am pretty confident I kept them lined up properly. But during my first chaotic install of the TC I may have mixed them up. Need to be more patient and take my time when doing these things, I get rushed then do something stupid like not putting the bolts back into the cardboard when removing them in a hurry :) Appreciate the tip tho, I have learned a lot from these forums. Looks like my next thing to learn is removing a broken bolt and then repairing threads.

Disaster averted! Took the TC off and was able to get pliers on the screw and it came right out. Threaded another screw in and it feels solid so no thread damage.

Looks like I did accidentally swap it with another screw and bottom out. Oops...

Gonna go pick up new screws from local hardware store along with gasket #3 and do this shit right.

In the meantime, can someone help me understand what this cam sprocket spring assembly is? I don't remember seeing this when disassembling, and the diagram doesn't make sense to me. I just have a regular old screw and washer there. Is this something I should have somehow connected to the camshaft screw/washer? It's from the page I posted a few comments up.

Camshaft screw spring assembly

Thanks for all of the hand holding too lol.

If you have a late model engine.. (didn't notice where you posted what year xj you were working on) .. It won't have the spring and button. It has a cam retention plate behind the cam gear.

Back