• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Cheap Heep Jeep...

I still use recurve a lot (looking for a nice straight bow) depends where I am. They opened crossbow here last year thats my freezer filler. I like to use a bow during deer gun season. It pisses off the weekend warriors on state lands when you drag a buck out. LOL.
Anyway, keep the pics. coming. I know you will enjoy your xj when you get to drive it.

Got a few goodies, the liner and the beginnings of on board air.

Ugly? Yes... Better? Yes... Do I care how it looks? Noooo... :D.

Second coat is on and done!

Got my kobalt electric impact so hot I couldn't hold it anymore...

Removing this...

Twisted all the bolts off...

Normally I would have kept the hitch but the ball mount was totally rusted in, my Cummins Ram and a chain couldn't get it out, a good soaking of PB and a bottle Jack couldnt budge it, the gulf coast really did a number on this one, I really really hope the rest of the bolts I need to get loose aren't like this...

Last edited:
Twisted all the bolts off...

I really really hope the rest of the bolts I need to get loose aren't like this...

Personal opinion: It is a blessing when those bolts will snap. Having to work the nuts all the way off is a bear.

It is a very different story if it is a blind bolt in something like say an engine block, but a bolt and nut where both sides are accessible? Please snap. Pretty please. It is not as if I want to re-use that rusty thing. Just get it out of my way so I can move on.

And yes, I took off a similar hitch. It was in the JY. I wanted the skid plate that was attached along with it. About half the bolts snapped, but I had to earn the other half. That was a workout.

No doubt, it has me worried about everything else I need to remove now....

I got the leaf springs loose of the rear axle, just need to get the spring loose of the body and put the rear AAL, shocks, new bushings etc on.

The front is next and I'm praying for less problems....

Side note, the Tcase no longer goes in 4lo, just grinds faintly, gonna attempt adjusting linkage.

Buy a can of Kroil now.

The day before you plan on taking something apart spray it down with Kroil. That stuff works very well.

I used to get mailers for Kroil all the time. The ads struck me as having a snake oil flavor. Then I found out their product was part of SOP at the local nuke plant (right on the ocean--salt corrosion heaven). I picked up a can and have been sold on it ever since.

Alternatively, a mixture of ATF and acetone is supposed to work even better than Kroil. Having the Kroil in an aerosol that reaches into inaccessible places is convenient enough that I haven't been motivated to blend my own.

A study done by Machinist's Workshop magazine in their April 2007 issue looked at different penetrating oils to see which one did the best job of removing a rusted bolt by measuring the pounds of torque required to loosen the bolt once treated. If the study was scientifically accurate, it turns out a home brew works best!
Here's the summary of the test results:

Penetrating oil ..... Average load

None ...................... 516 pounds
WD-40 ................... 238 pounds
PB Blaster .............. 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench ...... 127 pounds
Kano Kroil ............. 106 pounds
ATF-Acetone mix....53 pounds

I have been spraying it down with PB religiously since the start of this mess... Guess I need to buy Kroil by the case instead lol!

Got the drivers side rear lifted with out much trouble, passenger decided it would not let me off easy....

I did manage to bust the front leaf spring bolt loose, electric impact didn't have enough butt, but big cracker and a long breaker bar got it turning.

Hope to have the back lift completed tomorrow and the front started.

What's your plan for the rear wheel tubs? Looks like you've made a lot of extra work for yourself by cutting past the pinch seam there. Might as well extend/section it now and run 37's.

The plan is to weld it back together with 18ga.

The pinch was gone for the most part, I cut till I hit good metal.

I would like some 37s but they aren't in the budget for this truck.

Looking good. Nice front bumper. Those 37s or 35s? I remember my old XJ with 33s and 5 speed. It was a dog with 3.07s. I could cruise down the interstate at 65 in 4th gear at 2k rpms.......and I would not dare try 5th unless I was going downhill LOL

Highspeed, they are 33's. I am unsure of the gear ratio and haven't had it on pavement but it does ok for now.

Mr Smith, thank you and I will try to find some.

I hope you clean up those front fenders with a flap wheel. Would make it look so much better. The wavy cuts always bug me on guys' jeeps.

Good, since it bugs you I will leave it as is....

The plan is to put a straight edge on them and straighten them up the put cheap flexy flares on it.

The rear is going to be the real pain, I had to cut past the pinch in some areas and I didn't exactly know what I was doing and have to weld them up.

Back