• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swap BA-10 for Auto. Questions

JPTHING

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1988 Mj, I'm tired of the peugot Tranny. I want to swap to an auto of the same year out of an XJ. I already have the trans, and t-case. I've done absolutely everything else on the 30+ XJ's MJ's YJ's TJ and FSJ's that I've owned, but I have not swapped a stock manual for a stock auto. I realize there is a tcu and flexplate I have to deal with, I'm wondering if there are wires I have to splice into and if I need to salvage a trans wiring harness to make this work? I DONT WANT AN AX-15, and yes I do realize it would be easier but I want an auto. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Well the easiest way to get it up and running is to use a modified Winters shifter from RAdesign. This would make it full MANUAL shift. No auto shifting but....it's cheap and easy if you don't mind rowing through the gears.

http://radesignsproducts.com/Winters_Shifter_Kits.php

If you want to retain factory auto shifting you have to use the TCU of course and yes there is a harness you will need. TCU needs rpm, vehicle speed sensor, brake signal & tps inputs to function. Also check your throttle body and throttle brackets for throttle valve cable mounts. Might need those from a donor XJ.

you need auto TPS, TCU, throttle body brackets and the harness that goes with them.
ECU doesn't care.

if you can find a auto renix in the junkyard you can pick it all in an afternoon.
You'll also need to check the "everything about AW4's" thread to make sure the years that interchange.
Should be basically everything 95 down.
You'll want a 91-95 trans to get teh 23 spline output. Make it way easier to find replacement t-cases.

Back