• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Surco Roof Rack

deftrip

NAXJA Forum User
I have a Surco roof rack with gutter mounts. I had my 33x12.50 spare up there for a while but had to take it off due to the fact that the mounts kept breaking with the weight of the spare and the bad roads here in VA. Surco sells a different set of mounts that go directly on the factory rails but they don't look that much sturdier. Just wondering if anybody has had the same experience with this rack. Any suggestions?

The last one I replaced, the metal just snapped on one side and the other side started to crack as well. I guess from the weight and bouncing around of the tire. And its only the two rear ones, which is where the tire sits over. Do you have a lot of weight on yours?

Mine has long been sold. It survived the rollover on my previous XJ with only minor scratches, and one corner slightly tweaked ever so slightly. That was back wit the mounts that go to the factory roof rails.
When i switched it to my new jeep, I had to go with gutter mounts. Talked to Surco and they reccommended longer crossbars when moving to the gutter style. I carried a 33" up there with no problems with the rack. If you are having issues i would reccommend getting an extra set of crossbars and mounts.
In the end I ditched the roof basket because it made the jeep too tippy.

Back