• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stroker - any regrets?

I don't have one on mine either (yet) but a lot of people do. It seems to run great but I haven't checked the a/f ratio.

Did you keep the renix fuel system?

I did. The only change on the vehicle from factory was the injectors, from 19 pound to 24 pound. It had a header (there are many renix legal headers around) and hi flow (california legal) borla cat. Other than that, bone stock. Factory intake, EGR, etc etc.

Passed visual, passed sniffer, and probably has 100K stroked miles on it. Russ Pottenger drives it now and still has it in that config.

Mine runs/ran Very lean. Just moved the IAT to the air tube to get a much coller temp reading (adds a bit more fuel), and that helped maybe .2 on A/F.

Then added a MAP adjuster and now under WOT its in the mid 12/s as it should be. But part throttle is still in high 13's to 14.3. Way to lean.

I have tried 22lb and 30lbs inj. 30 was better but very hard to start due to toooo much fuel at initial crank when warm, and still was lean under WOT and partial. I now run the 22 and Wish I had my 26lbs injs back to try lol..

I still think my pushrods are too short as I still get valve clatter when warm, and when first starting. Will swap out pushrods again next weekend, when the new sets shows up from Summit. That will change somethings I am sure. Hoping to get some power out of it and maybe not run so warm.

Sub'd as well ... Planning to stroke my 1988 MJ's Renix 4.0L. I have an 81 258, and a 93 4.0L to work with ... Well besides the 88 worn out stock motor
The way I see it so far, Renix has better advantage over the HO's here. Thought about stroking the 2000 XJ, but it seems a bit more problematic.

I probably have 180K on the stroker. Never regretted it. More power and better gas mileage.

This is a good topic as these vehicles get into the life spawns of the 4.0

Back