• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering box pitman shaft seal

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
I got a box from a 1997 ZJ Tsi model. The output (pitman shaft) seal needs to be replaced.

I got the old seal out. The snap ring was just floating around the shaft splines.

In this photo, you can see a groove about 3/4 way down. I assume that I need to put the seals all the way in, then put the snap ring into that groove?

That seems to be the only logical answer, but thought I'd ask before just shoving the seals in there.

31EF5937-3201-4AD7-AC5F-B0D8E6D407CE_zps7hkukf4c.jpg

Just a tip, it is a lot easier if you pull the pitman shaft out to replace the seal.

I got it rebuilt, but the seals and washer were higher than the snap ring groove. I got them all the way down and just slid the snap ring in snug. Hoping it will be fine. Going to reinstall the box shortly.

Well, that was a disaster. I bled the system with the motor off for about 40 lock-to-lock and it was holding fluid.

Turned the Jeep on, cranked it one lock-to-lock, lost all power to my steering wheel. Shut it off and the entire contents of the box and pump were pouring out of my pitman arm seal.

Back to square one.

Reinstalled a second time without the metal washer this time and it blew out the seal again as the c-clip didn't seat.

Third time? Not sure yet. Went out and got a new outer seal and got a piece of pipe to use to tap it in. Finally got the two seals in and got the c-clip to seat without the washer. Haven't bled it yet. Filled it and cleaned up the old spills before dinner. Will need to bleed it tonight.

Only a few responses to this thread leads me to believe it isn't a task taken on very often.

I did this a while back.

Had to use the nut, a big washer and a cup from a ball joint press to press the parts all the way in.

Third time was a charm. Drove it a quarter mile to test it. Did some lefts, some rights,and a coupe of big donuts. Seems to be just fine. I'll get it out for a good run tomorrow and see how much better it is than the Durango box.

It didn't seem as free and smooth as the OEM box. Felt a little more cumbersome and was a little noisier.

Back