• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stainless Exhaust Parts Observations

Root Moose

NAXJA Forum User
I finally drove down to NY and picked up the exhaust parts waiting for me at the border this morning.

It's funny to place the Catco 1031 pre-cat section against the Banks Torque Tube header, Performance Curve catalytic converter and the Gibson cat-back exhaust. The Catco looks pretty crude compared to the others. The others are practically works of art in comparison. This is truly nit picking for a workhorse Jeep but those of you building more "show-n-shine" type vehicles may want to be aware of that.

To be clear, as a replacement part the Catco 1031 appears to be really well made and appears to fit really well but it is not a show car part. Some weld splatter, MIG welds that appear strong and consistent if not pretty compared to the beautiful TIG welds on the header and such.

Catco should make a "pro" or "tuner" line of parts for an extra $50 a unit that has the better quality welds. There would probably be a market for it.

Last edited:
Yikes! At $632 I'd consider making my own.

Another thing to be aware of if shooting for a "show and shine" DD: the new winter road salt sytem currently being utilized by many state and municiple agencies is extremely corrosive. The salt and water solution is aggressive and will even have a significant affect on quality stainless steel.

My entire stocker exhaust system was well on its way out a couple years ago so I pulled the trigger on a complete upgrade to stainless (Banks Torque Tube header, Magnaflow high-flow low emissions Y-pipe, Cat and muffler.)

System was quite spendy but figured it would be the last one for many miles. So far after 35,000 mi the whole system from the Y-pipe back is already lightly corroded. While not yet structurally affected, I'l be watching it closely!

(2000 Sport, Golen 4.6 ('99), AX-15 Conversion ('98) NP 231(SYE), Dbl Crdns to Lp D30/Chrslr D30 & Alcan 4.0" lift)

No doubt. I hate how the winter/salt turns pricey exhaust parts into junk. I just ordered a BANKS 51360 cat-back and a Magnaflow 23226 catalytic convertor. It's more than I wanted to spend and -for the life of me- I wish I could coat the parts with something to extend their lifespan... particularly the pipe from the muffler back since local muffler shops don't mandrel bend or actually bend anything to line-up properly (it's not a part that's easily replaceable for me).

I use it on pretty much everything... Works well but ultimately it is still just paint - prep is everything.

I don't know what ARB does with their powder coating process but it is awesome. I've had the bull bar on the front of my XJ for ten years now and I'm just starting to think about pulling it off to sandblast and repaint. Probably could squeak out another year or two.

I've had JKS Supernerfs on the Jeep for about 4 years and they really need to have something done with them and the Jeep hasn't been a winter daily driver for about 5 years.

How does Cold Galvanizing Paint standup to heat though? I'd be willing to try it on my catback (the pipe/ not the muffler). From what I read, people recommend using it on welded spots to reduce corrosion.

10 years is a solid run for powdercoat. The metal had to prepped right I'm sure. The powdercoat on my Aussie Calipers started to crack and chip away after the first year.

I don't know how it works with heat... Never tried something that would get hot, just frames, skid pads, bumpers, etc.

It is likely product specific. Maybe check with your local auto paint place? The guys at the desk are usually pretty knowledgable about what they sell IME.

Home Depot and such... Not so much.

Hah, you've never been to sudbury.

Lol... Well actually... I'm an hour west of Ottawa, been in Sudbury a few times but mostly for the drive west.

A cat gets really hot so this stuff won't work. If it's stainless it shouldn't need that though... Sure, a stainless cat will get pitted and stuff but for a working Jeep (i.e. Not garage queen that doesn't see winter brine) is it really isn't a big deal?

I dunno, everyone has different expectations I guess. I'm just replacing the original factory exhaust on my 2001 now... 250,000 kms... Hoping the stainless will take me to the end of the vehicle. Twenty years I figure, if we are still allowed to have non-autonomous, non-Guvmint monitored private vehicles by then.

A lot hotter than that. IIRC, north of 400* - 500*. Well, for the cat itself at least.
I'm mainly curious regarding it's application on the tailpipe section. Definitely not the cat or muffler.

Lol... Well actually... I'm an hour west of Ottawa, been in Sudbury a few times but mostly for the drive west .
Yeah, Sudbury's best enjoyed when driven-through quickly.

I dunno, everyone has different expectations I guess. I'm just replacing the original factory exhaust on my 2001 now... 250,000 kms... Hoping the stainless will take me to the end of the vehicle. Twenty years I figure, if we are still allowed to have non-autonomous, non-Guvmint monitored private vehicles by then.

I made the mistake of replacing my oem stuff when it was still fine. I pieced my exhaust together to save money over getting a catback. The Magnaflow polished exhaust held up well; the Carsound catalytic convertor did not. The Kolak aluminized mandrel bent tail pipe was junk. He convinced me it would told up; 2 years later, my welded-on magnaflow exhaust tip broke off. Last year, I had a local muffler shop make me a 2.5” non-mandrel bent SS pipe. He bent it poorly and now my muffler sits much lower in the back. I'm of the mind that leverage also caused a crack between my cat and downpipe. People do lousy work here; that’s why I ordered a direct-fit/ slip-fit magnaflow cat and banks catback.

For me, it’s not about looks as much as it is protecting my investment, and limiting any future trips to local muffler shops. That’s why I’m exploring paints/coatings.

Back