• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spring perch and pinion angle question

moparcyco

NAXJA Forum User
Question 1.Is it possible to set pinion angle i.e. tack perches onto a bare housing without the xj on it's own weight? I thought it might be easier to handle before I get the gears and lockers and hubs installed. Or am I way better off setting it up fully then set the perches? I have some wheels and tires for mockup could I just set the hubs in the center of the wheels and let the rig down this way? This is my first custom axle install just trying to make it as smooth as possible.

Question 2. To center the rear axle properly you need to just make sure that the backing plates or backside of plates is the same measurement from the outside of the leaf springs on each side? Even though the axle is not equal side to side the passenger tube is a bit longer. This is what I have come up with searching is there a better way? As always thanks guys

What pinion are you trying to set(front or back)? You said perches so it sounds like rear but then you said hubs. You can set your pinion angle with an angle finder and just tack them. For the rear, the centering of the pumpkin doesn't matter. Just measure equal distance from the backing plates like you said above.

What pinion are you trying to set(front or back)? You said perches so it sounds like rear but then you said hubs. You can set your pinion angle with an angle finder and just tack them. For the rear, the centering of the pumpkin doesn't matter. Just measure equal distance from the backing plates like you said above.

Sorry yes this is for just the rear Tera 60 crd with 14 bolt outers. The rear springs are at full droop won't that affect the angle? I read that don't know if it's accurate. That's why I was wondering if setting the 14 bolt hubs in the wheels the lowering the rig onto the axle would be better?

Need to set pinion angle with weight at ride height.

Need weight on it.

The angle between the perches & the axle won't change, but the angle between the driveshaft/driveline and the rear axle WILL change with weight.

As you put weight on it, the rearmost part of the driveshaft will come up with the axle, changing the angles a good bit.

Its easy to swap it in, rotate it for pinion angle, and burn in what you can. Take off u bolts and burn in perches . Done. I leave the driveshaft bolted up to help center the rear end along with taking multiple measurents side to side to make sure. Slap tires on and measure .

Back