• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Souske sbout me thread

souske

NAXJA Forum User
My name is Sean McKee. I have been an active naxja member since 2007. My most recent event was the 30th Anniversary in Moab. I have attended every Socalfest since 09.

I am single with no kids so I have plenty of time to dedicate to the club. Currently working in facilities for a pharmaceutical company. Before that I worked in construction building seawalls and drilling. Prior to that I was in the US Navy moving and loading aircraft. Before that I worked at a dealer and a small independent auto shop.

If I am chosen to represent the members of this chapter, I plan on improving a couple things.

1. More participation in Adopt A Trail. It is somewhat sad when the hours are read off at the AAT meetings, and we have a fraction of the hours that some of the much smaller clubs do. by much smaller, I mean less folks than we can even get to show up to the local M&Gs.

2. Better communication with membership. I feel that if the members are better informed, they will be better able/more willing to participate when the chapter need manpower, be that AAT, volunteering at events, etc.

If you have a legitimate question, feel free to post it up in this thread.
If you want to throw rocks, feel free to send me a PM

Hi Sean,

Thank you for posting a thread about yourself so voters can get to know you.

a few questions:

how do you feel about opening the BOD forum to membership viewing? I personally don't believe paying members should be barred from seeing what goes on there.

how do you feel about increasing the number of BOD positions in order to spread the workload out?

how would you improve the member experience? are there any policies you would change?

Opening the BOD forum to member viewing is a mixed bag. It would allay the fears of members that its the super secret cool kids talking smack about the members.
The downside is that I feel it would inhibit leadership from feelling free to express their opinions without repercusssion. Which I feel is important to an open, honest, and productive discussion of club issues. Opening it would either cause leaders to participate less, give only PC answers/;opinions, or simply drive them underground into communicating through other avenues.

I feel that increasing the number of BOD positions would be a good thing. Not so much to spread the workload out, but to better represent the membership. Not that our previous leadership has done a bad job, but by recycling the same folks through over and over again, some of the newer members feel as though their voices are not being heard. By bringing some fresh blood into the club, I think we can change that perception.

On improving the member experience, I think that our greatest improvement will be through the expansion of AAT participation. Its really hard to convey to someone who has never participated the immense pride and sense of ownership one feels after a hard day of working to improve the public lands, and keep them open for us to enjoy. Its much more satisfying to run a trail that you personally helped to maintain, and have input on the design of.

Back