• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Someone help me.. please?

egghead

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Okay, I'm tired of searching on the net ...

I am swapping out my Wrangler YJ Dana 30 for a high pinion XJ 30. (Out of Pat's 98)

I started out trying to install the gears in another axle I got (low pinion) .. didnt work.. I bought the set up kit for this axle (97 ZJ 30)

Now i'm trying to (RE) set up the gears in my high pinion 30..

The kit came with a crush sleeve, but the XJ high pinion doesnt use a crush sleeve.. just shims, correct?

Anyhow.. I've been trying to set the pinion gear, but i have alot of play in and out with the nut tight.. could this be because number 1 : I havnt enough shims.. or 2: Since i'm using the new bearing from the set up kit (for the ZJ low pinion) it is the wrong bearing?

I'm all XXXXed up.. anyone make any sense of this .. HELP!

Thanks MWC boys.. and girls..

EGG

no crush sleeve

If the pinion is loose you have to many shims in there, or the bearing is wrong......

I was just thinking about this, what I said about the pinion being loose is 10000000000% wrong. Add shims behind the bearing cup that the outter pinion bearing goes into, moving the bearing closer to the nut.

Sorry about that.

Thanks for your imput brian, I figured out that the ZJ Low pinion uses a different outer bearing than the XJ high pinion..

I tracked down the Timken part numbers and they didnt match..

So tommarow i'm going to track down a new bearing and start over..

Thanks again Brian!

Egg

Back