• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So what's new?

CheapXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've been honestly out of the loop for a few years.

life got weird and I was forced to make some serious changes and cut myself off from a large number of family and friends.

I recently bought another XJ ('90 4.0/auto/231 (242 laying in my laundry room ready to go in, 31's and sawzall work, 1/4" steel bumpers with d-rings front and rear, truckbed liner from the body line down, class III hitch, yada yada) and Don't have anywhere to wheel it in Florida.

got a WJ too, stupid 2wd Florida Jeep, but I'm workin on an AW4/242 swap in it.

I'm having the dumb idea of putting WJ axles and WJ MC/Booster in the XJ just because. 3.73s will be a good ratio for 31s and I need ninja brakes 'cause people in Florida can't fn drive.

so yeah, What's new in NAXJA land over the last 8 years or so?

Welcome back Cheap!

While you were gone, some folks got serious about racing XJ's, built turbo and supercharger setups, swapped in LS and BB Mopar motors, keep flopping their rigs and caging them out and most recently, Jeep decided to bring back the Cherokee.......but disguised it as a car.

welcome back Ryan! i heard you were headed down a bumpy road, glad to see you doing well. don't know the 2WD WJ, i bought one for my wife last year and she loves it.
i took a bit of a hiatus myself, but i'm working my way back in, just staying away from the politics of the 4wd world.

Wow

I believe you were the first to stick 36" tires under a 3" lift if I remember right. Pretty good write up on it too I believe.

(off to search...)

Welcome back!

Yeah, I'm really diggin all this boost-related 4.0L tech info that's on the forums... It's giving me evil ideas :firedevil

The project list is as follows:

1. Baseline the 90 XJ 4.0L/aw4/nv242 @ a solid 3" and add some WJ stuff (brakes, steering, convert to 5 on 5" bolt pattern) and bring it back up to date with maintenance. suspension was the final needed piece at this point.

Make the WJ 4wd (4.0L/aw4/nv242)

Buy and build an MJ (depending on how mike's TDi MJ project goes, I may go the same route)

I like that I can find running/driving worn-out WJs for less than $1500 now, that makes brakes and driveline parts cheap like XJ stuff was ten years ago.

let the clusterfukkin begin!

Anyone been in touch with Harwood aka Eagle? looks like he hasn't posted on here forever. I hope he's alright.

Wow

I believe you were the first to stick 36" tires under a 3" lift if I remember right. Pretty good write up on it too I believe.

(off to search...)

Welcome back!

I'm pretty sure the site where that writeup lived doesn't exist anymore, at least I stopped paying the bill for it almost a decade ago :twak:

I took so much flak for that, and now all the cool kids are doing it, :anon:

I have ZERO of those pictures anymore, the great lighning strike of 2009 destroyed my archive (got such a direct hit, that the EMP even destroyed my backup media in the adjacent room!) it even ruined the INTERNAL flash memory of my android phone that was sitting on the coffee table 20ft from the point of impact, turned off and not plugged into anything.

The WJ booster swap is a great upgrade in itself. Real easy to swap in. I've made the swap on 3 Jeeps now.

the 95/96 MC/Booster setup used to be my go-to swap, but yeah, I'm doing the whole WJ brake system, front and rear. I'm just debating if swapping the whole axle assemblies in is worth the effort or if redrilling the rear for the WJ setup and bolt pattern. I already have a bunch of spare WJ 16" alloys laying around (two complete sets) along with two complete front axle assemblies, they're 2wd but i have all the extra parts to convert my stupid disconnect D30, it really didn't take me long to amass quite a collection of Jeep stuff again. and I haven't even spent as much on the two of them yet as I did on the original Cheep!

still need the MC/booster/combo valve and lines from a WJ to toss in the XJ I kinda want to swap the whole WJ ABS system in, just because I live in florida and the ABS computer can react to stupid much faster than my aging ass can.:sure:

Last I remember Eagle moved to South America or somewhere. Not heard from him since. I wonder what his fleet of Jeeps is doing?

Yeah, I'm really diggin all this boost-related 4.0L tech info that's on the forums... It's giving me evil ideas :firedevil

The project list is as follows:

1. Baseline the 90 XJ 4.0L/aw4/nv242 @ a solid 3" and add some WJ stuff (brakes, steering, convert to 5 on 5" bolt pattern) and bring it back up to date with maintenance. suspension was the final needed piece at this point.

Make the WJ 4wd (4.0L/aw4/nv242)

Buy and build an MJ (depending on how mike's TDi MJ project goes, I may go the same route)

I like that I can find running/driving worn-out WJs for less than $1500 now, that makes brakes and driveline parts cheap like XJ stuff was ten years ago.

let the clusterfukkin begin!

Anyone been in touch with Harwood aka Eagle? looks like he hasn't posted on here forever. I hope he's alright.

As of a year or two ago Eagle was still in the states AFAIK, billyjp2 and H8PVMT both bought MJs off him around that time.

Back