• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So pissed at Jeep

WarGin

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, been awhile.
Got an 88 pioneer that I got rid of shortly after fixing it (ac bracket pulley),
And then got this beauty for a steal. Now I know why...
Bought this from a Canadian friend of a client. He drove it to NY where the alternator seized and he let it sit at his in-laws for a few years(next to an Etype jag and a new Ferrari), then sold it to me.

1998 Canadian 2 door, 4.0 with a 5 speed. Literally my dream jeep that I have been lookin for for years. It's got barely over 100k miles (Km speedo).

Super duper clean, only unpainted stuffs rusted as it was parked 20 feet from Long Island sound (brake line(s), exhaust and stuff), I could eat off the undercarriage .

So I've been trying to get it registered and as far as Ican tell I need a letter of compliance from jeep saying that the car conforms to EPA and DOT standards. It does, everyone knows and states the fact.
Jeep won't give me one . At all. Ive been trying for three weeks and their policy is not to give anyone other then a Canadian resident with proof they are moving to the US this letter. They say it's for warranty reasons, but the warranty on this car probably expired a decade ago.
So I'm pretty much screwed. I really don't know what to do and really want to drive this.
This is mostly a rant against Jeep/chrysler's policies. Three weeks of dealing with stupid policies got me furious. Sorry.

do you know anyone in Vermont?? they are more lenient on that sort of stuff. maybe have them "buy" it and they in turn sell it to you after they get the paperwork??
if you cant get the paperwork legal otherwise, it looks like you have a real solid candidate for a trail-only buggy.

Find another blue XJ in the states, buy it, register that, magically move the vin tag over to the Canadian one or something.

Not too hard a fix just may cost a few hundred

Unfortunately it's not an issue with CT, it's a customs problem. I don't have an American title, or stickers.
I'm ending up having to go through a registered importer,towing the car to a minimum of 4 hours away, except the guy who was 4 hours away wanted 900 freakin bucks(and sounded sketchy as hell). Called the next closest in buffalo and they said starting at 525. So either way, bank.
Think it's worth it when I'm 750 into it?
I'm gonna have to replace the alt and a few brake lines too.
Gahhh f u jeep warrantee policy BS

Well if you're swapping VINs that's kinda frowned upon from the DMV so at that point who cares. I mean it would only matter if you what, get into like a major accident so 4dr would be fine. Really anything post 97, even if you get pulled over 99.9% of cops wouldn't know the difference let alone care. Shit color doesn't even matter, you hand write in the color when you register it.

As long as you're willing to some shady shit and not tell anyone this isn't that big a deal. I've seen waaaaay worse.

Well if you're swapping VINs that's kinda frowned upon from the DMV so at that point who cares. I mean it would only matter if you what, get into like a major accident so 4dr would be fine. Really anything post 97, even if you get pulled over 99.9% of cops wouldn't know the difference let alone care. Shit color doesn't even matter, you hand write in the color when you register it.

As long as you're willing to some shady shit and not tell anyone this isn't that big a deal. I've seen waaaaay worse.

great advice...

so if he gets in an accident and someone gets hurt or even worse, dies, it would be all ok that he didnt have insurance? because an appraiser would find the discrepancy in a matter of minutes and you wouldnt be covered, and then you can include some federal charges on top of everything else that is going on.
do it right or get out of the deal ASAP. you might be better off towing it back to Canada and just giving it back to the PO if he wont buy it. then take it as a lesson learned.

Hey Im just telling him his options and the easiest way. I know if I got a killer deal like him that thing would magically become a US jeep over night haha :cheers:

Last edited:
does that baby have a block heater?

Yeah she's got a block heater, and a heavy duty (120amp) alt (well did anyways).

Also probably no vin swap, just gonna bite the bullet and drive to wherever and pay hundreds to have it legally done. when I can afford it anyways. Gotta go to Europe for family next week and that's literally bankrupting me.
****in Jeep, first they tell me my 84 doesn't exist and now this haha

Sounds like junk. Can I buy it? :D

Not wanting to sell her, but if it's a reasonable offer I may entertain the thought.

I really want to drive the damn thing, it's way too nice to be scrapped and definetly too nice to trail. I still have the original War Gin for that.
I seriously don't think there's a better 2 door in new England, this was the nicest example I came across in 4 years of looking. And on top of that 5 speed...
However in other news I'm awaiting a call from an importer in/near Boston, who said that 900 was rediculous and will call me back with pricing. I hope he does.

don't swap VINs. You end up with a jeep that has twice as much curse. Also it is a felony and those are not something you want to be playing with.

I recommend finding the best importer you can - look for online reviews, make sure they aren't a shady fly by night operation - and biting the bullet. Still a nice jeep either way. Do your due diligence if you try and go with a title laundering operation like broadway, a few years back a couple dozen guys on steelsoldiers basically got screwed by one that got super backed up, stopped responding to anyone while still holding a pile of signed over titles and customer money. Turned out they were going through vermont and any of the customers could have done it directly for a fraction of the cost, IIRC.

Not wanting to sell her, but if it's a reasonable offer I may entertain the thought.

I really want to drive the damn thing, it's way too nice to be scrapped and definetly too nice to trail. I still have the original War Gin for that.
I seriously don't think there's a better 2 door in new England, this was the nicest example I came across in 4 years of looking. And on top of that 5 speed...
However in other news I'm awaiting a call from an importer in/near Boston, who said that 900 was rediculous and will call me back with pricing. I hope he does.

good luck in what your doing but i had a cleaner 2-door same color too actually it was a 98 5-speed out of Georgia found it up here tucked away in a parking lot needing a motor

So the jeeps been up in VT since late November, been waiting on a stupid DOT bond to clear before I could get any paperwork, but as of today everything is set! Just gotta wait for the letters to arrive so I can go get a temporary plate and drive the car back!
Pretty excited, 4 months of hell and I finally get my freaking car. It was expensive but worth it.

Back