• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Select Increment XJ Pod (Subwoofer)

Atl XJ said:
I have one and I'm pretty happy with it, but it took a little work for me to be satisfied with it. Like previously stated, their mounting system sucks, you have to seal the wires going into it, and it takes some work to stop it from vibrating. I had to use a lot of dynamat behind the interior panel and where it attaches to the rest on the interior and I used expanding foam behind the actual enclosure to stop it from vibrating there. It vibrated like crazy when I first installed it like the instructions called for. I figured it would but I gave it a shot.

I'm running a Kicker competition 4 ohm dual voice coil 8" in it, the specs of that speaker were perfect for that size, sealed enclosure. I'm powering it by an Alpine 150 watt RMS amp under the front passenger side seat. It sounds great and has a good amount of bass for one 8. I was impressed. I have a newer Alpine headunit and I really like how I can adjust the sub level right on the stereo. Its nice to be able to turn it up or down to suit my mood so easily. :D

Adjusting the sub from the headunit would be nice! What model headunit is that? I think the key to using the XJ pod, is to use a low output Amp. My amp is 350 watt/chnl (2chnl amp).

Cherokee Yellow said:
I'd say the XJ Pod is probably half that thickness, if you are lucky.

I'm sure thats why it rattles so much and is so cheap. The JL box retailed for $220, and holds and 10" sub. No problems with the box itself not being able to handle a nice subwoofer. The XJ Pod is a joke as far as car audio goes.

33db47e6.jpg

91 Jeep Project said:
I'm sure thats why it rattles so much and is so cheap. The JL box retailed for $220, and holds and 10" sub. No problems with the box itself not being able to handle a nice subwoofer. The XJ Pod is a joke as far as car audio goes.

33db47e6.jpg
Mine is probably around 1/4" thick. The reason they rattle, is because its plastic against plastic with a terrible mounting system. I've since adressed that problem.

I prefer mine over that one, if I could even find one, because I sacrifice very little cargo room compared to that one. A ten would be nice, but a quality 8" gives me more than enough bass. Its very clear and accurate too. I've been very impressed.

Cherokee Yellow said:
Adjusting the sub from the headunit would be nice! What model headunit is that? I think the key to using the XJ pod, is to use a low output Amp. My amp is 350 watt/chnl (2chnl amp).
Alpine CDA 9847. Its a year old, there is a new model that replaced it.

cda9847rkca420i.jpg

91 Jeep Project said:
You tend to stack alot of stuff on your wheel well...............:dunno:
No, but there have been things that I've barely squeaked in there that wouldn't have fit if I had that one. I use my cargo area alot.

I'm so f'in annoyed with my XJ Pod. ready to tear it out and built my own panel for it

djblade311 said:
I'm so f'in annoyed with my XJ Pod. ready to tear it out and built my own panel for it
Just do what I did, mentioned earlier in this thread, I have zero rattles even when I listen to hip hop and have the bass turned up. :D

djblade311 said:

Yeah, they are pretty much worthless. Some guys have been able to get them to work, but I did everything they did, and mine still rattled like crazy. Cut your losses now. Find someone selling a JL Audio Stealth box, pay them dearly for it, and live happily every after ;-)

Some rattling is going to occur in most applications regardless of the design of the box.

I installed 6x8's in my rear doors and they rattled everything like hell until I went to town with some acoustical sealant and put a dab or line between any two loosely-held components. I made sure everything that vibrates is spaced away from everything else with a bit of sealant. Dynamat works well but is too spendy for a piece of sticky rubber.

Even if you tighten everything up rock solid you may still get some rattling/buzzing simply because the size of the soundwaves produced in the bass frequencies are enough to make bricks vibrate with enough watts driving them.

Those enclosures are almost guaranteed to produce some buzzing/rattling just based on how thin-walled they are. That's why the pros build everything out of MDF. Its very dense and does not flex enough to transmit sound waves well, and at the same time its much lighter than HDF.
Just a few cents...

Back