• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

School me on Ford Triton engines.....

scoobyxj

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Girlfriend has an 01 F150 with the 4.6ltr Trition in it, and just over 153k. Just did plugs (found out after the fact I should have used Motorcraft instead of Autolites). I need to do the EGR cleaning thing where you pull the intake and clean all the EGR passages, and figure out how to reseal the EGR tube at the manifold. It had a lite miss before the plugs, and I figured new ones was what it needed. However it is still missing after the plug change. I've read the coil on plugs are noted to not be very reliable on these things, and I'm sure one of them is the issue. I've tried to locate which one it is by disconnecting them one at a time with the motor running to try to figure out which one it is, but it seams that no matter which one I unplug you can feel a noticeable change in the miss. Basically it seems to miss worse when I unplug one than what it's already missing. (My thinking is when I unplug the one that is missing there would be no change in the miss.)

So I guess my questions are....
Was my diagnostic methods ignorant, and there's a better way to figure it out.
Should I just replace all the COPs, and if I do what brands are recommended (I see them anywhere from around $70 to $200). I rather spend as little as possible on it cause it not that nice of a truck (puke gold, no options, and IMHO the ugliest body style f series Ford ever made), and she only drives it when she has to.
Anyone have a good idea on how to reseal the EGR tube to the manifold?

After a bit more reading up on these things I found that the computer as the ability to determine which cylinder is actually misfireing. So I took it over the Auto Zone and they scanned it showing #8. I pulled the COP stuck an old plug in the end of it, got it grounded good, pulled the fuel pump fuse and let her crank. I got what looked to be a good spark (was nice and blue). I then pulled the plug and while it did have the faint odor of gas wasn't wet. So now I'm thinking injector, or the wiring to it. What I'm thinking of trying is (and chime in if you don't think this will work) putting a fuel pressure gauge on the rail, pull all the injector plugs except that one (and the fuel pump fuse), and cranking it over watching to see if the pressure drops.

Clean your egr port on the throttle body. No need to change cop's. Air filter and fuel filter are a must on these. Ford will idle rough with clogged up filters. Run some seafoam in the gas tank.

99% of the time a bad coil pack will leave a code. I would switch coil pack 8 with 1 and see of the problem moves with it. Coil packs and boots are a very common problems with this motor.

Back