• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sacramento - can you look at a used Jeep for me?

Handlebars

NAXJA Member #135
I have a friend looking for a Grand Cherokee Overland. He found one in Sacramento that is a cream puff according to the salesguy on the phone. But you know how that goes when you are coming from 1100 miles away to buy it. FWIW they will pay for his plane ticket to come and get it. Can you say road trip?

http://dealerpropix.homenetinc.com/MSAuto/details2.asp?path-taken=used&vehicle_id=A10845#tippytop

Will someone go have a look at this thing for me and report if is really is in good shape? Some things we are interested in is if there is any rust underneath, like from driving in the snow. I don't remember if you guys use salt up in the Sierras or not, according to the Carfax that is where the Jeep has spent all of its life. You ask the salesman about rust and they say "no, there aren't any big holes in the rockers!" I would like to know if any of the suspension and brakes are showing signs of unusual corrosion.

WJ's also have problems with the air conditioner blend doors breaking and heater cores leaking. Look for rusty crud under the a/c box in the passenger footwell. Check that the a/c controls activate all of the modes on each side, as well as going from hot to cold. The recirc door also breaks. Look for oil leaks underneath, also listen for an exhaust manifold leak on cold startup.

That is about all I can think of right now. There is dinner in it for you in return, just show up in Moab this October. :)

Last edited:
The salesguy is George - (916) 921-9902. The lot is called M & S Auto, their address is 1924 El Camino Ave. Sacramento CA, 95815.

I aggree with you about the price, I paid $7k for mine. We will just use the dealer's asking price as a starting point and go down from there, if the Jeep is worth the effort. :) Thanks for helping Jon! :clap:

DID you see the one in my link? he says dual cases, geared and locker and all built up for 9500 ? I bet you could get it for 9000.

Yes we saw it. That is the wrong tool for this job. It will be his wife's daily driver/dirt road explorer. Believe me, I know the difference! Ten years of driving this:
orig.jpg

... is why I now have this:
orig.jpg

My friend has sees what my WJ can do and it is plenty capable for his needs.

BTW, is Ivan still around? He is the one who found that 2-door for me waaay back in 2000.

Ya its not too far. I just have to find time . like I cant do this weekend, tonight, or friday night, maybe thursday night , maybe. is that tomorrow?

I dont think I can do tonight now, but ill see.

Jeep is sold

Hi Josh and Jon - No need to schedule a visit to M & S Auto any more. They called and said the WJ is sold. A big thank you for wanting to help!

Thanks Phil for sending me down memory lane, here's that 11 year old story:
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146808

That was back when I spent so much time in those mountains that I became an honorary Sierra Chapter member. Jes, CRASH, WesternXJ, Farmer Matt. What are those guys up to these days?

Re: Jeep is sold

That was back when I spent so much time in those mountains that I became an honorary Sierra Chapter member. Jes, CRASH, WesternXJ, Farmer Matt. What are those guys up to these days?

I'm still beating on the old black XJ. Just came back from a 800 mile adventure in the Easten Sierras in my newest Jeep...
standard.jpg

Ahh yes, the places you can go in a stock Jeep. Is that Mono Lake?

I don't know if you have gotten the same feeling as I have after years of wheeling a built Jeep but it seemed more like I was taking the Jeep places, rather than the other way around. I seemed like more of a chore than it was worth. I am enjoying my stock WJ and have no regrets giving up my XJ. It sure has taken me some beautiful places, the very same places I went in my XJ!
orig.jpg

We'll see how it does in Moab this October. Are you going Jes?

Ya, Mono Lake. It is nice to just throw the camping gear in a vehicle and drive, it's more of an adventure.
Sonora pass, Bodie, Mono Lake, Bishop, Funnel Lake, Bishop, Yosemite. Good drive.

Doubt I'll make Moab but would love to tow the XJ out there again.

Back