• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Running rich

Chadillac1982

NAXJA Forum User
My 1999 4.0L is running very rich to the point it won't idle. Put new gas in it tested sensors MAP IAC TPS ECT new plugs and wires cap rotor. Any help or questions help me get him back on the trails. -Chad

Could be a plugged CAT. Put a vacuum gauge on it and post up the readings at an idle, 2000, and 3000 rpm.

What does the coolant temperature gauge show? If the computer thinks the coolant is cold it will ass-u-me the catalytic converter is cold and try to warm it up by running rich

If the temperature is in the 195-215 range, then next guess would be to swap the O2 sensor if you don't know when it was last replaced

Confirm the Coolant Temperature Sensor signals are correct. Test the O2 sensors or replace them with NTK brand sensors. Most 4.0L Cherokees have a cracked exhaust manifold. This will allow fresh air to be pulled into the exhaust stream and the PCM will think the engine is running lean and add more fuel.

standard.jpg

Back