• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RigidCo RbA rear bumper - never used

N8N_99xj

NAXJA Forum User
Frustrated beyond belief... this just won't fit on my '99 Cherokee without a minor mod, and I just don't have the facilities to do the welding required to make it work. Pissed off and just gave in and ordered a regular trailer hitch. My loss is your gain. Has Class 3 receiver and two D-ring tabs. This is a truly awesome bumper - the beef of this thing is unimaginable until you inspect it - and I really wanted to see it working on my vehicle.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rigid/collections

(not my pics)

my bumper is the RbA non-cut 'n' fold version. Rattle canned black, was planning on scuffing and repainting once it was installed so it probably has a few nicks and scratches from test fitting. I'm in Sterling, VA. Make me an offer.

BTW please don't think that this is a negative against Terry or RigidCo - I just talked to Terry earlier today and he's a cool guy and I'm sure that if I'd discussed the mods required before he built the bumper for me we wouldn't be having this discussion and I'd be happily installing right now instead of posting.

thanks!

the tab that fits between the gas tank and the rear panel, doesn't. I'm not sure why, but my gas tank is very close to that panel and there are no signs that anything is amiss or was ever damaged or modified. I'm just not comfortable having it rubbing the gas tank; I have an idea how to fix it safely and have actually discussed it with Terry but I don't have the facilities or tools to make it happen.

Am actually waiting on a call back from a welding guy that was recommended to me for a last attempt at making this work as I really don't want a trailer hitch slung underneath the vehicle, but I've spent waaaaaay too much time on this install already (mostly due to rusty original fasteners and my anal retentive nature making me derust and paint the nut strips, skid plate, muffler bracket, gas filler shield, etc. etc. etc.

I was trying to find info on RigidCo website but couldn't find anything, any idea where to find more info?

the tab that fits between the gas tank and the rear panel, doesn't. I'm not sure why, but my gas tank is very close to that panel and there are no signs that anything is amiss or was ever damaged or modified. I'm just not comfortable having it rubbing the gas tank; I have an idea how to fix it safely and have actually discussed it with Terry but I don't have the facilities or tools to make it happen.

Move the gas tank forward. Loosen the retaining straps, slide it forward and retighten. I bet that will fix your problem. They have some wiggle room.

It didn't look like it to me but I'm willing to try anything at this point... I inserted a couple more Helicoils this morning for the rear bulkhead bumper mounting brackets - for some reason I got the old bolts out without too much difficulty but when I tried to torque them back down again three holes stripped... then I had to R&R the left bracket and stripped two more holes when retorquing... anyway where I'm stuck now is loosening the nuts on the gas tank straps. Anyone know what thread those are so I can run a die over the studs? Thanks!

OK I officially give up. After cussing and swearing and hurting myself I managed to move the gas tank forward so it's just barely not hitting the front of my skid plate, still not enough clearance. I'm leaving my hang-below trailer hitch on and reinstalling the stock rear bumper, I have spent waaaaaaaay too much time @#^$#%ing with this and I don't have the tools or facilities to modify this bumper. Please make mean offer and come 'n' get it. thanks!

Oh, pajeepman - there's no info on their web site, look at the photo link I posted, and let me know if you want any more info on the bumper. I really really don't want to let this go but I'm in the middle of too many projects and since I'm not a serious off-roader but really was just looking to add trailer towing capabilities making this work is a low priority for me. I've spent so much time just busting off the old rusty fasteners and heli-coiling all the stripped weld nuts, I've lost my motivation to search someone out who can make this work for me. I thought that it would be cool to have the receiver in the bumper and use a drop ball mount rather than kill my ground clearance but not having my own cutting tools or welder is making this more trouble than it's worth. However this is a FANTASTIC bumper, if you bend this bumper you've probably totaled your heep in the process.

Will gladly trade for a new pair of stock height HD rear leaves and shackles (which I also need) if anyone wants to work it that way.

Back