• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Regear questions with an AX15

Re: Re: Regear questions with an AX15

If you go the 3.55 gear install route, I have a set of very good used 3.55 gears for a D-30 high pinion, and d-35 that you can have for the price of shipping. They are going to the recycler on my next trip.

Well Fred thanks for that, but I have a C8.25 so I don't know. Isn't it ill-advised to mix and match gear sets?

Just went through this. Get part-outs from an automatic. 3.55:1 is great for a daily driver on 31s with a stick, and they're really cheap and really really REALLY easy to find.

As to going with auto axles, that's kinda what I was looking for in drivability. The fact someone as jeep knowledgeable as Kastin or Souske is good with 3.55s makes me really comfortable with that idea.

I would really like to do ARB front and rear so I will have to take both axles completely down to install them, so buying auto axles at this point would unfortunately require just as much work for my current axles if I understand correctly. I know that doing lockers all around on 31" tires might seem silly, but I want them anyway. I DD this jeep, and its also my hunting rig so I occasionally get in a sticky spot way away from anyone else and I'm not a fan of walking. Or digging. Lol. I suppose my jeep parallells an expedition build. I have got some great feedback from you guys, and I really appreciate it. At this point I am thinking 3.73's with lockers will be good on gas and still go anywhere with reason. Anyone think that sounds crazy?

I wouldn't bother with an ARB for the d30 but that's just me... putting $1k in an axle that won't stay together over 33s without more money spent seems silly. That being said, an ARB for the 8.25 (if available) would be awesome, and 3.73 is numerically above the d30 carrier break and there is no 8.25 carrier break, so if you want to go deeper gears in the future, you can do so without buying new ARBs.

A locker in a stockish jeep isn't something I'm against, it just seems silly to spend that much money on it, but I'm a cheapass and intend to go larger. I'm putting an LSD out of a Durango in my DD XJ soon (some Durangos came with 29 spline 8.25s and they frequently have LSDs installed from the factory) and may go for an aussie locker in the front if I get a big tax return or bonus, but haven't decided on that. I paid $40 for the LSD and can probably get an aussie for $200 which is more my spending style.

I know that doing lockers all around on 31" tires might seem silly, but I want them anyway. At this point I am thinking 3.73's with lockers will be good on gas and still go anywhere with reason. Anyone think that sounds crazy?

Sounds like a good plan. I've run an ARB'd D30 for a long time and think the ARB is one of the reasons it has survived so long.

Back