• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Hatch Difference 84-96 and 97-01

rav

NAXJA Forum User
I know the hatches on the 84-96 had the hinge on the top and were fiberglass whereas the 97-01 are steel and have the hinge inside. Apart from these are the dimensions and shapes the same? I am looking at getting a spoiler for my 99 but only see ones for 84-96 (they have the cut out on top for the top hinge) but are advertised for 84-01. Any help will be appreciated.

The other differences are the cut out areas for the lights and the newer one rounded at the edges. It should work to mount one up there. Do you have a link to the product or pictures of it?

Will probably fit, but not well. It's trimmed / molded to fit the 84-96 shape, the 97+ are rounded on that corner rather than square. Also the 97+ has the hinges internally rather than externally so the hinge cutouts will be empty. Expect needing a good bit of bondo to make it look right.

Will probably fit, but not well. It's trimmed / molded to fit the 84-96 shape, the 97+ are rounded on that corner rather than square. Expect needing a good bit of bondo to make it look right.

That's what I thought. I guess i will pass on it.

Back