• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Raspberry Pi

iwannadie

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone herd of the Raspberry Pi? I herd about it on a podcast and instantly had to put in an order for one. A $35 credit card size computer running linux, come on that is just awesome even if I have no clue what I will be doing with it.

I was thinking an automotive application would be cool but powering it could be more hassle than it's worth, although I herd people running it off 4 AA batteries. One of my car stereos has video/audio in and could be used as a monitor very easy. The built in file browsing for music sucks so having something with a nice GUI would be really cool. I was also thinking maybe a little media server hooked up to the TV(HDMI) or a network file server with a massive USB drive(s).

Well, it's not like I have an immediate need for one. Yes, they are on back order but they are pumping out something like 7,000 a day so back orders will be filled even if it takes the 5 week estimate. I've seen a lot of people claiming to be getting them much earlier however.

Totally gonna order one.. after I get back from Vegas.

powering it from 12V isn't a big deal.

a heatsinked 7805 may be up to the task.

Indeed it is awesome but I really wouldn't know what to do with it. Anything it can do I'm sure a smart phone or tablet can do.

I actually don't have a smart phone or tablet ha. I just wish it supported VGA monitors without the crazy pricey DVI to VGA adapter.

I have several VGA monitors doing nothing but will have to buy a DVI/HDMI to use with this I am afraid.

I actually don't have a smart phone or tablet ha. I just wish it supported VGA monitors without the crazy pricey DVI to VGA adapter.

I have several VGA monitors doing nothing but will have to buy a DVI/HDMI to use with this I am afraid.

DVI to VGA adapters are very inexpensive. I have at least 3 or 4. I'll look to see if I can find them, I can send you one for cost of shipping if you like. Gotta find them first. And DVI/HDMI cables can be found inexpensive as well.

DVI to VGA adapters are very inexpensive. I have at least 3 or 4. I'll look to see if I can find them, I can send you one for cost of shipping if you like. Gotta find them first. And DVI/HDMI cables can be found inexpensive as well.

I thought for sure I remember DVI to VGA was the biggest pain, maybe I was wrong though hmm. Maybe it was something like DVI-I/D that required the more expensive adapter setup because of the power.

If you're buying in store then yes it'll be pricey but if it's like HDMI cables on ebay, it'll most likely be less than $10.

I suddenly remembered I was thinking of VGA monitor to DVI-I. I was looking at a video card for my old Apple G5 and was looking to run dual monitors with one being VGA, it was no go. The adapter for DVI-I to VGA is the costly one due to the power issues.

Might be a base for an in-car computer system. I wasn't a big fan of the in-car nav systems until the last generation or so. Experienced the new Ford system in a rental, and the new Dodge system in a buddy's truck. It would be a load of work, (integration and all,..)but to retrofit to an older vehicle, on the cheap,.. This might be good.

DVI to VGA is only inexpensive if the outputting device also spits out the analog signal on the unused DVI pins.

Rasberry Pi is completely digital output, and they have no intentions of supporting VGA, as it is end of life.

It’s a cheap computer designed for people learning programing and computer hardware.

Model A $25 Model B $35
RAM: 256MB
Processor: 700Mhz
LAN: 10/100 Model B only
USB: Model A 1, Model B 2
Storage: SD Slot
Video: HDMI
Audio: over HDMI or 3.5mm jack

Back