• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Race trailer/chase

sallys xj

NAXJA Forum User
**disclaimer- Not a professional welder or fabricator. Using this as a learning tool. I have thick skin so critiques and criticism is open just please make it beneficial so I can learn from it. Other then that enjoy**

Tools that will be utilized are basic hand tools (angle grinder, chop saw). The welder is an 220V ESAB caddie MIG running .030" 10lb spool and using a 80lb mix gas cylinder.

Wasn't sure what to call this thread exactly. But ill use this to show the build and upgrades I'm making to my truck and trailer to make towing to events more functional. I used to just toss in all my racing and camping stuff in the truck bed until it was full. Made it a pain to find anything and once the bed was full would then fill my back seats in the truck and use the empty space in the XJ. No reason behind loading and after racing with Letzroll Offroad Racing in Mexico at the Norra 1000 I wanted a more organized set up. I'm starting with the trailer then will go to the bed. My main goal is to be able to drop in all my items for a race in its respective spot while being able to secure it and find it easily.

The trailer is a 18ft 2006 Carson car hauler with a steal deck. the tow rig is a 07' Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab w/the 5.7L
(never mind the jeep as it has change a lot since this photo. The trailer and truck have not. Will be removing the tongue box)

319708_416716278343427_989032196_n.jpg

The other day was bored and had some time so started building dump can boxes for my two 7 gal quick dump cans. Normally they get tossed in the bed and ratchet strapped down. Started with 2"x2" angle iron. Made the base notching the front to clear the breather/handle. Then built up and boxing it in. The original plan was to just weld them to the trailer and leave space for my full size 35" spare to go between them. After rethinking it I took extra angle iron and welded the boxes to it making it one unit. Works better as the tire now has a designated stop. I then welded up lockable hinges that I'm able to run through the dump can handles and the wheel. Thus making the dump cans valued at 50 bucks each and the 600 dollar wheel and tire combo secured. This will get welded to the front of the trailer and will add to tie down anchors to run a ratchet strap over the tire as an extra measure. Overall very happy. Next I want to find a way to build a box to hold my floor jack. Stay tuned.

How it started
10394794_878002558881461_5826377028986534496_n.jpg

dump can box coming together
10355906_878002615548122_3580957805216936157_n.jpg

close up
10449466_878002725548111_4437647012023820728_n.jpg

It fits! I measured correctly lol
10363863_878002675548116_1568273982704057704_n.jpg

all together
10361412_878091135539270_7031193479279418182_n.jpg

close up of lock set up running through handles and wheel
10372572_878091155539268_4948028903851547539_n.jpg

I want to see how this pans out. I'm going to get started on my truck once the XJ is back on it's feet.
John I know the feeling. After multiple races and packing and loading it was time to get more organized. Don't have the big dollars for large enclosed race trailer and diesel chase truck so will build off of what I got keeping true to my low dollar budget lol. In all honesty want it to be functional and it helps kill time on my days off.

I'm already jealous.
You guys are plenty talented to build this or something similar 100x better. Get on it man.

I hear you on the budget. I'm burning through cash just as fast as I get it. I'll be keeping my old one ton Ford for the time being. I'm looking at the route of a utility bed that I can keep loaded with parts, tools, radio, etc. I've only been to two races and the loading gear portion is already old.

I'd like to see what you come up with.

sallys xj said:
You guys are plenty talented to build this or something similar 100x better. Get on it man.

I'd have to move and buy a nicer trailer first. Where I live, its too tight to back a trailer into my yard. I drop it in an alley behind my house and push it in by hand with a dolly. I had to buy the lightest trailer I could find (its 950 pounds) just to be able to put it away alone. Add any weight and I'm done..

I'd have to move and buy a nicer trailer first. Where I live, its too tight to back a trailer into my yard. I drop it in an alley behind my house and push it in by hand with a dolly. I had to buy the lightest trailer I could find (its 950 pounds) just to be able to put it away alone. Add any weight and I'm done..

You need a little utility ATV to back that trailer in. As a matter of fact, I have a very nice one for sale, with super low hours, always garaged.

David Bricker / SYR

gomer is knocked down to 'utility atv' status now?

Nah, lol, a nice little Honda Rancher 350. Shipping might be a pain, but it's a nice rig. 2003, only 40 hours on it.

David Bricker / SYR

I hear you on the budget. I'm burning through cash just as fast as I get it. I'll be keeping my old one ton Ford for the time being. I'm looking at the route of a utility bed that I can keep loaded with parts, tools, radio, etc. I've only been to two races and the loading gear portion is already old.

I'd like to see what you come up with.

Yeah John I know the feeling. I'm already trying to figure out how to make a mount that will hold the ice chest and floor jack in the bed of my truck. Then on the opposite side doing a similar frame that swings out for the tool box. This way the tool box sits parallel with the bed side but swings out towards the tail gate if that makes sense. I'm also adding a small truck box that will be in the bed to handle my electric tools an straps.

Im interested to see how this comes out. Ive been toying with the idea of racing W.E.rock next year and followed your xj build. I have also been drooling over some of the bed cages I see the raptor guys building. My ram 2500 does dd, expo, desert, and towing duties. Ill be following this to see what you come up specific to the racing aspect.

Im interested to see how this comes out. Ive been toying with the idea of racing W.E.rock next year and followed your xj build. I have also been drooling over some of the bed cages I see the raptor guys building. My ram 2500 does dd, expo, desert, and towing duties. Ill be following this to see what you come up specific to the racing aspect.

Thanks man. So far it is nice but have some ideas for a few other things.
stay tuned

Well wasn't able to do everything I wanted to the trailer and truck but got it enough to were it was functional. Welded the dump can and spare tire boxes up to the trailer and was nice having the extra space in the truck. I then bolted my trailer box in the bed of my truck giving me a truck box. That was nice to lock my floor jack and electric power tools in there. Then my big tool box, spare fluid box and spare parts box. Had a lot more space. But with a few more ideas I could have a lot more. So stay tuned.

Back