• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick wiring question

Green XJ Jeep

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, long time lurker first time poster. What can I say I know how to use the search function and most questions I can easily find the answer to but this one.
I have a 96 4.0 with 5 speed that I just swapped the motor in and there is a plug I cannot find where it goes. It is in the same part of the harness as the oil pressure switch and has the same kind of plug that the electric fan uses.
I am usually pretty good at marking them all so either the tape fell off or it was never plugged in but it does look like it was plugged in at one point.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Would that go to the ignition coil? I think that's a two or three prong plug.
The closest to the oil sender is the distributor and on my older 4.0 ho it looks like the electric rad fan plug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to say I'm not going to be much help. Went over my wiring nothing looks similar. It's either a year difference or transmission.
If it's down to transmission maybe it's to the reverse light switch, it's on that side of the vehicle and two prong plug as I remember.
On my 2.8 5 speed it's a very different wiring so that's no help either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for looking.
I am pretty sure I have all the transmission stuff plugged but I still have to put the driveshaft back so I will give everything another once over.
I might just go ahead and fire it and see what happens.

I just checked mine (same thing, '96 4.0 5-speed) and the closest thing I could find to what you're describing is an inline connector for the distributor. There also appears to be a small loom with plastic wiring conduit that runs behind the distributor cap and appears to be held in place with a loom clamp attached to the block, but I didn't notice an inline connector or anything for that one. My advice would be to try and fire the engine and see what happens. I know on mine, there's a bunch of connectors that are there only for equipment and options I don't have (cruise control servo, fog-light switch, etc.)

On mine the small loom that runs behind the distributor has the oil pressure sender wire and this mystery plug in. The distributor and the coil are in a separate loom.

Mine is the basic sport also and there are indeed a lot of unused plugs under the hood and this may very well be one of them

The wire colors and the number of pins in the connector might help to figure out what it is for?

96 wiring diagrams are hard to come by, http://www.bbbind.com/free_tsb.html has some available online (note you don't actually have to fill out the questionnaire to access them).

Does it exit the harness exactly where the oil pressure sender wire does? I was looking at the diagram dark blue with a white strip goes to the windshield washer fluid level sender, the purge solenoid and some other places like the backup lights and neutral safety switch.

A real head scratcher. :)

I just checked my 96 and the AC wire on mine is dark blue, single wire. It goes into the connector and comes out as 2 black wires which then go to different points on the compressor. On the diagrams that were linked it only shows that there should be a blue/white wire and no double blacks. I wonder if they changed at some point during that year.

Last edited:
So I just checked the small loom behind the distributor on mine. One end runs into the harness near the ignition coil. Peeled back the conduit, and sure enough, there's a blue wire with a white tracer, a brown wire with a green tracer, and a gray or white wire. Traced the other end and it has a connector near the front of the transmission on the passenger side. From there, it seems to disappear somewhere over the top of the transmission. My guess is neutral safety switch or backup light or something along those lines. I'll try to wash my rig and see if I can't get a better idea of where this thing goes...

So I just checked the small loom behind the distributor on mine. One end runs into the harness near the ignition coil. Peeled back the conduit, and sure enough, there's a blue wire with a white tracer, a brown wire with a green tracer, and a gray or white wire. Traced the other end and it has a connector near the front of the transmission on the passenger side. From there, it seems to disappear somewhere over the top of the transmission. My guess is neutral safety switch or backup light or something along those lines. I'll try to wash my rig and see if I can't get a better idea of where this thing goes...

I think that is the backup lights. Believe it's the same style plug

I have searched all over under and around and cant find where it goes. I know it was pugged in at some time, its to clean to have not been.

If you find it let please let me know but I think I am at the point where I am just going to fire it up and see if it throws a code or see what isn't working and go from there

Does it exit the harness exactly where the oil pressure sender wire does? I was looking at the diagram dark blue with a white strip goes to the windshield washer fluid level sender, the purge solenoid and some other places like the backup lights and neutral safety switch.

A real head scratcher. :)

The loom that has it and the oil pressure wire come from the front of the jeep. The oil pressure wire exits where it should and the plug extend about 18 or so inches past it. There are no other wires in the loom

It is indeed a head scratcher. I have spent days going over wiring diagrams and looking at pics and I cant find what it is.

I'll go look at mine again. Mine is an export model and has some odd wiring in it in places, it#s also an automatic. 96 was also a transition year, some of the early 96 models have some 95 harnesses in there, I know mine does. Some of my wiring colors match 95 color codes, some match the 97, gets interesting sometimes.

I know my windshield washer and fluid level hookups look like an afterthought. I remember unhooking the wires to replace a pump and discovering my layout matched no known diagram. And where the wires exited the harness was also really odd and didn't match anybody elses layout.

The only two pole plug that vaguely matches your description in mine is the coil plug and the wire colors don't match the wires on your phantom plug.

I started up the jeep and did the cam break so it doesn't control the engine in any way and there are no codes so far. I haven't gotten around to checking the back up lights or anything to see what doesn't work yet.

Back