• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question for the computer gurus

Spudboy

NAXJA Forum User
My computer is driving me crazy and one of you might have some ideas about what is wrong.

Everything was great until a couple of weeks ago. One web site I frequent is pirate4x4 and they moved their servers and did some vbulletin upgrades. Since then, I cannot access the www website, just the same site using www2. I don't know the difference other than the www2 site is slow as molasses and uses google analytics a lot. This only happens on my main computer. The kids computer and my laptop have no problem accessing the site. This suggests to me that the website is not the problem and my ISP/modem/router is not the problem. Computer firewall is turned off (router is on). I've tried the spyware/antivirus programs and they make no difference. Tried emptying the cache and cookies and made no difference. Downloaded and installed a fresh copy of Firefox with no change. Internet Explorer will not access the site either.

So any ideas? This is on a Dell computer running XP Media Edition.

try and open up a command prompt (go to start -> run and type in 'cmd')

type ipconfig /flushdns
then for good measure reboot.

check you DNS settings in your network settings, unless you have a good reason for having hardcoded values in there you should leave it set to automatic.

you computer nerds are great. My dad is a college professor teaching everything you need to know about comps. I wanted to take his class but he lives in MN. i cant stand the cold so i never went.

menos said:
try and open up a command prompt (go to start -> run and type in 'cmd')

type ipconfig /flushdns
then for good measure reboot.

check you DNS settings in your network settings, unless you have a good reason for having hardcoded values in there you should leave it set to automatic.

Alas, this didn't help. Thanks anyway.

Any other ideas?

Can you open a browser on the router ? Can you ping the router ?
start > cmd > ping 192.168.1.1 [usually the ip of the home routers]
ping www.dslreports.com [that will tell you if the DNS is working, it should lookup the ip of the dslreports and return it's ip 5 times.
cmd > ipconfig /all [make sure you have an IP from the router, that the dns servers show up which may be the routers IP address 192.168.1.1]

Rich:

All of that works fine. In fact this computer seems to work fine for every other site I try to go to. It just won't go to Pirate4x4. I just tried pinging that and got a time out on every try, 100% loss.

I might try to find a different network adapter and see if that helps. That's the one difference I can see. The kids computer is wired and the laptop obviously has its own built in wireless adapter.

Strange problem.

Spudboy said:
Rich:

All of that works fine. In fact this computer seems to work fine for every other site I try to go to. It just won't go to Pirate4x4. I just tried pinging that and got a time out on every try, 100% loss.

I might try to find a different network adapter and see if that helps. That's the one difference I can see. The kids computer is wired and the laptop obviously has its own built in wireless adapter.

Strange problem.

No, it's not the adapter, you must have set a block on that site, go into internet explorer and add it manually or see if it's been included in banned or blocked sites. Reset your security settings to default.

Back