• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question about frame stiffeners

conman

NAXJA Forum User
I have a clayton long arm installed currently, but am wanting frame stiffeners. What are my options? Should I grind the welds from the crossmember, install the frame stiffeners, then have the crossmember pieces welded back on or just modify the frame stiffeners to work around the crossmember?

I'd modify the stiffies since you already welded the crossmember outer bits in place. You could add a gusset from the stiffy to the lower link bracket if you wanted to tie them into the stiffy to get a bit more strength. Never done it since I don't have the clayton but this makes sense in my head.

I have a clayton long arm installed currently, but am wanting frame stiffeners. What are my options? Should I grind the welds from the crossmember, install the frame stiffeners, then have the crossmember pieces welded back on or just modify the frame stiffeners to work around the crossmember?

i'd cut the welds, one side at a time, and do the cross members. have at lest 3 jacks avl before you start. i used 2 sissor jacks and hyd pump jack, the second side cam out sooo much better then the first, I used ruff stuff. thay have a july 4th sale 20% off. I have a clayton on mine, and I did the stiffners first.

Brian

i'd cut the welds, one side at a time, and do the cross members. have at lest 3 jacks avl before you start. i used 2 sissor jacks and hyd pump jack, the second side cam out sooo much better then the first, I used ruff stuff. thay have a july 4th sale 20% off. I have a clayton on mine, and I did the stiffners first.

Brian

Yeah, in hindsight, I should have went that route. I will probably be going with the ruff stuff as well. When I grind it, I am certain that there will be some holes from the welding on the frame. I am assuming that with the stiffeners installed, this would be a non-issue?

Back