• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Purple Is The New Chrome rock rails

peterjford

NAXJA Forum User
My XJ got new rock rails with the cage so the old ones are for sale. They are still purple. If you pay full price you get a can of primer. Located in Yorba Linda. No hardware, just the rails. $50

Dang it, I just ordered a set. We'll be twinsies...except for the purple and the cage and all.

:D

Any pics?

Rock rails have worked their way up pretty close to the top of my priority list.

Any pics?

Rock rails have worked their way up pretty close to the top of my priority list.
Towards the end of the post are a few fair pics of them.

Towards the end of the post are a few fair pics of them.

"the post"

Umm...

Which post?

roundFencePostP.jpg

Or

266px-Postbox_in_Viborg_Danemark.jpg

Or

Ultimate_Post_wCat._V402326037_.jpg

Can I buy a clue?

:confused1

I'll post some pics next time I get on a "real" computer, but they might already be sold.

Tom or Tim, would you be interested in some AJ's rockrails? New, never mounted (or even painted), and somewhere in the garage is all the hardware. I bought them right before I got Andy's XJ.

Got it.

20170610-2N47-24-la.jpg

I will take them if they remain available.

Paypal?

Probably too bulky to parts train. I may have to pick a day to drive up and get them. It would still be less time than fabricating from scratch.

And if the purple ones sell I could be interested in the other rock rails. Pics and a price?

Last edited:
I'm covered Peter. I just ordered a set from Leadfoot. That's what I meant by twins.

If I am interpreting the photos correctly those have a gusset that is designed to tie into the front leaf spring perch (looking at the third picture where the pair are laying on the ground, at the close end of the pair, the one gusset is close to the "AJ's Offroad logo).

Is that interpretation correct? Or does that gusset tie in someplace else?

If it ties in someplace else then these would probably work, but if it needs to tie in at the front leaf spring perch I would need to cut them up and redo that mount. I have a welded in brace on my front perches. It won't play nicely with that gusset.

Bummer.

Another issue you might have is with the part that's meant to bolt to the pinch seam. If you've plated your frame rails, then the space between the frame rail and the seam will be shorter by the thickness of the plating. Of course, either one of those issues -- the gusset and possible need to account for plating -- can be overcome with some minor modifications.

If I am interpreting the photos correctly those have a gusset that is designed to tie into the front leaf spring perch (looking at the third picture where the pair are laying on the ground, at the close end of the pair, the one gusset is close to the "AJ's Offroad logo).

Is that interpretation correct? Or does that gusset tie in someplace else?

If it ties in someplace else then these would probably work, but if it needs to tie in at the front leaf spring perch I would need to cut them up and redo that mount. I have a welded in brace on my front perches. It won't play nicely with that gusset.

Bummer.

Another issue you might have is with the part that's meant to bolt to the pinch seam. If you've plated your frame rails, then the space between the frame rail and the seam will be shorter by the thickness of the plating. Of course, either one of those issues -- the gusset and possible need to account for plating -- can be overcome with some minor modifications.

I need to find the hardware and take some detailed pictures of what I have. I bought them 3 years ago and the design might have changed. When I bought them I did not have any plating or frame stiffeners so the distance to the pinch seam mount would be wrong for someone with them.

I'll start a new "for sale" thread once I get the pics and hardware and any documentation I might have with a note that they might already be sold to Tom if they will work for him.

Sounds good.

If the design has changed and that gusset is not going to be a problem then I am interested.

I do have plated frame rails, and yes, that pinch seam element would need to move, but that is probably not going to be a deal breaker. The mounting up against the spring perch is a bit more involved though and it would probably be a better deal for someone else besides me.

Back