• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Portable Kerosene Heaters

Had one of those when my buddy had a garage, it did ok. He got a salamander propane heaters. Propane dosen't burn our eyes like kerosene heaters do, but if you want it, they make then in kerosene also. Also you can direct the heat better with these. We stayed nice and warm with one of these.
propane
http://www.masterheaters.com/propane/
kerosene
http://www.masterheaters.com/kero/

I use one of those dual head propane heaters like they sell at lowes, it keeps me toasty in a 30x30 garage. I crack a window and have a carbon monoxide detector in there for safety. One tank will last on the low setting about 30 or so hours.

i dont ot alot of money to spend($100 most) its a 10x20 garage and dont want to use anything that requires electricity, as i need power for lights and tools

Those wick type kerosene heaters work very well if you keep them maintained, and they don't stink (very much...). My experience is with somewhat smaller ones, but they work all right usually. Pretty trouble free. They're very efficient, and burn reasonably clean once they're warmed up. One disadvantage is that there's no thermostatic control, and no real possibility for it.

However, not very fast acting. If you want something that will heat up a cold garage faster, the Master heater linked above, or a Reddy heater, etc. will get you warm in a hurry, which is good if you don't want to have to leave it on when you're not there. You can also easily hook up a thermostat to one of these, which makes it convenient if you want, for example, to maintain your garage at 40 degrees or so. That makes it really easy to bring it up to comfort level when you're working.

I use one of those heaters in my shop (about 1000 square feet, poorly insulated) and it works well. If the building isn't very tight, you don't have to worry much about fumes, but you need some ventilation, obviously. I can heat my space with a 50 thousand btu unit, but when my 50 burned out I replaced it with a 100K btu unit, which heats the area up quite fast. Of course, the space I'm heating is about 5 times what's proposed here, too.

The biggest disadvantage of the forced-air heaters is that they're noisy, and also you need a good bit of clear space in front of them for safety. If you like to listen to the radio when you work, forget it.

For a 10 x 20 garage, if it's not too drafty, I think the Dura Heat might well be sufficient, and reasonably comfortable and safe. It also has the virtue that you could use it in an emergency in the house without having to worry too much about noise and stink, and since it needs no electricity, it would be fully functional during a protracted power outage. The only problem I think you'll have is that it doesn't blow heat around the room, so it will have to run a while to get the whole area comfortable.

bought it this morning, been spending the evening sealing up the garage, the garage itself is 20x20 since we live in a duplex but it has a wall in the middle so its basicly tryin to heat up the whole garage wich isnt sealed well at all, the heater itself puts off some nice heat and in a 7hr period burned a little over a gallon of fuel, so once i get my side of the garage sealed up the heater should be great

I've been using those round kero heaters for about 18 years to keep my basement warm. The one thats running right now is 25,000btu and the other is 50,000, thats out in the 12x16 foot shed. We have electric heat in the house but not in the cellar. I snapped up the 25K unit when someone moved and they were throwing it out, almost brand new, had only been used 3x at most. My cellar is 40x36, framed and insulated walls, I burn about a gallon every 16-18 hours, it not only heats the cellar but much of the upstairs too.
The trick is to not turn it off, use clear Kero with no dye in it and let it burn itself out. For some reason the red dye destroys the wicks in about 2 years, gums them up. We also have the carbon monoxide detectors and they have never gone off. If you let it burn itself out the wick seems to be self cleaning and they last forever. The big 50K unit still has it's original wick and that one is about 18 years old. Once the mass in the cellar gets warmed up it stays warm for 12 hours or so. We fire it off around 5pm and let it burn itself out somewhere around 3 or 4 am. Towards the end of the tank you can get a little sniff of kero and you also get a slight whiff when you first light it off.
Joe up at endless mountain fab has one of those jet style heaters, noisy as heck but it heats his 2 1/2 car shop up in about a half hour and that was before he insulated and sheetrocked it this past summer, I'll find out next week if it's any better if the lift party comes off.

20X20, but you didn't say if it has a ceiling, or if said ceiling was insulated.

I had one of those in a place I rented, I was not that impressed. Because when I want to work in the garage, I just want to do it and not wait all day to let it heat, if it doesn't put out atleast 80Kbtu, it's a waste of fuel at these temps. The propane forced air stuff is where it is at. Kerosene forced air heaters are hard on the eyes and really bad if you use #2 fuel in them- YUCK!

I use an old house furnace I rejetted to propane. Works well, and not too noisy, but neither is it portable ;)

Ron

Back