• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Polyurethane Leaf Spring Bushing Opinions

QuillsXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey,

I have a set of Rusty's 4.5" lifted leaf springs that came with crappy rubber bushings back in 2006 when I bought the lift kit. I am pretty sure that they are toast now so not wanting to replace my springs I bought Rusty's replacement polyurethane bushings for the springs (specific to the Rusty's springs). Would anybody recommend polyurethane leaf spring bushings? How are they better and how are they worse? I am hoping that they will help with better road stability and improve handling characteristics, but I think that suspension articulation when offroading will be decreased.

Thanks!

I have had bad luck with poly, its too hard. Plus you have to grease it constantly to keep it from squeaking.

I would see if Stengel has any rubber bushings that will fit

jeepguy72987: How do you like the ride quality with polyurethane: Do you notice more vibrations on the freeway coming from the rear? Is the vehicle handling improved? Thanks!

Poly bushings are great performance and durability wise. Continually greasing and lubricating them so they don't squeak off sets any benefit. Get new rubber ones. They'll last you more than a few years.

I love my poly bushings. The main thing you need to look for is if they have the ability to easily greased. Rubicon express are solid. Also, ironman4x4fab are great as well.

http://www.ironman4x4fab.com/Builder_Parts/POLY-RE-KIT.html

I don't think "noise" is that big of a concern. I have greased mine once since I have put them in and its been over 1.5 years and I don't have a squeeking problem. Also, they will last forever with negligible decrease in flex. I think the benefits FAR OUTWEIGH the negatives.

im not to sure that the rubicon express bushings are poly or not. correct me if im wrong! and i have not noticed any vibes. but then again i got fullwidths and a spool in the back.

I notice the difference between rubber and poly in my front sway bar & track bar, too. Switched the sway back to rubber.
Without greasable bolts, no way in hell I'd put rear leaves on poly. Too noisy. Even with greasable bolts, though, I don't like poly's NVH characteristics. Ever notice that NO major auto manufacturer uses ANY poly in their cars?

I notice the difference between rubber and poly in my front sway bar & track bar, too. Switched the sway back to rubber.
Without greasable bolts, no way in hell I'd put rear leaves on poly. Too noisy. Even with greasable bolts, though, I don't like poly's NVH characteristics. Ever notice that NO major auto manufacturer uses ANY poly in their cars?

I think this heavily depends on your setup. I run polys in my leafs and have not greased then in over a year. I also run the shackle relocation bracket though so the shackle to leave angle is a nice 45 degress which aids in travel. If I were running an arched leaf with the stock shackle location then I would say, yeah, there would be a problem

I have poly's in my IRO's and they squeak a lot. Easy fix, but anyways... As for benefits, i don't think there are any.

Back