• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oh great, Cherokees are really popular... among theives! :(

dogtired

NAXJA Forum User
http://autos.msn.com/advice/article.aspx?contentid=2891&src=Ins

"Thieves Follow Market Trends
The SUVs with the highest theft rates, according to the CCC 2003 stolen vehicle report, are the 2002 Mitsubishi Montero and the 1996 Chevrolet Tahoe. Jeep's Cherokee and Grand Cherokee models are the most stolen SUVs according to the NICB, ranked together in the sixth spot in the NICB list."
:anon:

1. Toyota Camry (1989)
2. Honda Accord (1994)
3. Honda Civic (2000)
4. Chevrolet Full-Size Pickup (1992)
5. Ford F-Series Pickup (1997)
6. Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee (1993)
7. Oldsmobile Cutlass (1986)
8. Dodge Caravan (1994)
9. Ford Taurus (1996)
10.Toyota Corolla (2001)
stupid fawkin thieves has good taste in our heeps. :twak:

Last edited:
I've seen that before. I'm hoping that since I have a newer one with a different steering column, its more difficult to steal. Thats what I tell myself atleast. :roflmao:

Yeah, I live a stones throw away from Mexico. Car thieves park stolen cars in my nieghborhood before taking them over the border. There are atleast a dozen stolen cars recovered from my nieghborhood every week. Body damage is the best defense. But then again folks in Baja do alot of wheeling.

Allow me to suggest a smaller, more convenient alternative to The Club: the Autolok Protector.

Basically, the cuffed end slips over the handbrake and the looped end closes around the gear lever. Braked and in gear, the car's effectively immobilised - constructed entirely of laminated, painted steel, it's damn near indestructible. Also makes a handy defensive weapon should someone open the back door of your car at a traffic light as I once found out. (Though for the sake of accuracy, I actually had the Autolok Original, then just called the Autolok.)

I'm honestly surprised they haven't tried to sell these here yet... Best theft deterrent that isn't hurling lead I've yet seen.

Last edited:
casm said:
Allow me to suggest a smaller, more convenient alternative to The Club: the Autolok Protector.

Basically, the cuffed end slips over the handbrake and the looped end closes around the gear lever. Braked and in gear, the car's effectively immobilised - constructed entirely of laminated, painted steel, it's damn near indestructible. Also makes a handy defensive weapon should someone open the back door of your car at a traffic light as I once found out. (Though for the sake of accuracy, I actually had the Autolok Original, then just called the Autolok.)

I'm honestly surprised they haven't tried to sell these here yet... Best theft deterrent that isn't hurling lead I've yet seen.
T'aint nothing wrong with a lead-hurler in trained hands. Prevents a lot of repeat performances by the crook too.

After looking at the Autolock, I came across this http://www.autolok.co.uk/pages/p1ktp3p.htm on their site - I wonder if my apartment would mind my digging out the parking lot to install one? :D

Yucca-Man said:
T'aint nothing wrong with a lead-hurler in trained hands. Prevents a lot of repeat performances by the crook too.

Yup. But for those times when you can't be there... ;)

After looking at the Autolock, I came across this http://www.autolok.co.uk/pages/p1ktp3p.htm on their site - I wonder if my apartment would mind my digging out the parking lot to install one? :D

They look like they can install reasonably easily. Imagine the possibilities for mayhem... ;)

Lets make them easier to steel by removing the doors. :looney:
I have an alarm on mine but I havnt set it in over 6months. Its kinda scary that I have actually stolen one of my buddies because he said I couldn't do it in under a min. Well I won. hehe all it takes is a pop of the hood and a jumper wire to bypass the whole ignition.
DIG IT!

This guy I work with had his Cherokee stolen the other night, well, I guess I can't say stolen, since the asshat left the keys in the ignition and parked on the street!!!! Lets just say they "borrowed" it. LOL!!! The cops woke him up out of bed at 6:00 a.m. and asked him if he owned a blue Cherokee that they just found sitting in the middle of one of the busiest intersections in town. He didn't even know it was gone!LOL!!!! I guess they taught him a lesson, a very expensive one since they also stole his guitar and equipment, as well as busted a few windows.

Earlier model XJ's are popular with thieves because they are easy to steal. The Saginaw steering column is easily broken allowing the ignition lock to be bypassed. A thief can bust one of the back windows, unlock the doors, bust the lock on the column and be gone in a minute or two. It takes no skill or special tools. With a hammer and a screwdriver even a dumb 14 year old can do it. (Ask me how I know)

They don't need the hammer and it's just wierd recovering your stolen XJ and learning how to use the screwdriver to start it, then afterward it feels like you are steeling your own car everytime you go somewhere untill you get it fixed.

Tip #1 Reduce the incentive. don't leave valuable items in your jeep, at very least don't leave them visible, don't advertise.

Tip #2 many products including alarms will reduce the incentive to some degree but do nothing to stop a serious thief from taking the vehicle or simply smashing a window to grab something. A custom well hidden antitheft system combined with tip #1 is your best bet. In a recent JP article on the subject I got a kick out of one of the ex thieves statements, don't tell your "friends" where your hidden cutoff switch is located.

I saw one a few months ago where the kids got caught, the owner had attached the rear hitch to two steel garbage cans with some steel wire. When the cops saw/heard it driving down the street at 2am dragging them behind they got 'suspicious'...not to mention the ruckus they made trying to 'sneak' out of the neighborhood...

The 14 year old that stole my daughter's XJ made the mistake of driving her XJ to the McDonald's restaurant where she was working. I was so glad that she was able to call the cops and watch the little punk get arrested.

Ralph said:
The 14 year old that stole my daughter's XJ made the mistake of driving her XJ to the McDonald's restaurant where she was working. I was so glad that she was able to call the cops and watch the little punk get arrested.
Gawd, that's almost worth hawking a green one into his Big Mac as well! :D Too bad the little turd knows he's going to have his record wiped clean in four years, so he can continue being a criminal 'til then

cant the ebrake be cut to work the shifter with the autolok protector? Also, as far as thieves go the true NY pros usea tow truck. Scary. And it takes only seconds to brake the window or slim jim the door and then stab the column with a screwdriver to bypass the ignition lock.

Back