• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

np242 $150?

thechief86

NAXJA Forum User
I have decided not to use my np242, and am kind of in need of some cash.
It's from a 2001 xj, with around 100k miles.
It's on Craigslist for $200, figured it can go cheaper to a naxja person.
Located in White House, TN 37188
Will ship on your dime.
731-420-thirteenforty7

I believe mine does. It's from a 2001?
It's not hurting anything to sit at my house, but if anybody decides they want one, it's around.
Nobody cares to maintain mild daily drivers that kick ass in the snow, I guess.
If I ever get another xj, or buy my most recent one back, I'll throw it in if I still have it.
I offered it to Ed a few months ago and he didn't seem interested...

Would any of those 242's be a bolt on replacement for the 231 in my 2001? (4.0L 5-spd)

Yes they would. You'll need the shift fork (under the tcase bezel inside the Jeep...the part that lets the handle move to each position) from a Jeep with the 242 as well. Can't remember from my swap if you need the linkage from a Jeep with the 242 as well.

You won't have the indicator lights on the dash either, unless you splice in the plug from the Jeep with the 242.

I swapped the other way....from a 242 to a 231.

Yes, and I have the shift gate and bezel to go with it if you're interested in swapping.

Gotta buy the OP's t-case, though. lol Don't want to high jack his thread.

Not ready to buy yet, just kicking around the options. The 2001 I just bought seems to have a lot of "slop" in the drive train. Have not decided if it is the NP321 or the NV3550. My 1999 has over twice the miles on it and it has no slop at all. I am going to have to change out the throw out bearing soon also.

Back