• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231 Oil pump question/issue

The shaft does stay in place, but without the rear case cover to hold it in place, I wonder if its shifted making your re-assembly more complicated?

Are you still assembling it on end? Why not put it down as it sits in the Jeep and pull the shaft out a bit to where it would be once you tighten the yoke nut and then assemble it.

The yellow marks indicate where the stock (left) snap rings went. The one inside the cone housing is already indicated on the shaft with a circle. These 2 rings are not needed on the new housing (right) because the bearing comes preassembled in the housing with rings already in place.

if I lay the case on side and slide shaft out and into pump I can get it together. I wasnt sure this was ok or if it had to fit pump standing on end like I've seen in videos. If it's OK to do the side assembly I'll do it.

Yes, do the side assembly like it would be if you were installing while its in the vehicle.

Make sure you lube the shaft and outer seal.

Not sure if some of these seals leak no matter what. I've read multiple reports of people going through multiple seals until leaks stop. The one in my SYE kit started leaking after a few thousand miles. It was an import seal. I replaced with a quality NAPA SKF seal.

Success!!

I was able to stop by Tarheel 4wd Center in Charlotte, NC today. I spoke with Andy in the shop and he's the man. He knew all about the Rugged Ridge and other kits. Andy confirmed that unlike the stock shaft and many aftermarket SYE kits that keep/use the factory 3 snap rings, the Rugged Ridge mega short sye only retains the 1 ring that holds the gear on. The 2 snap rings that hold the bearing and shaft in the cone housing are no longer needed because the new housing already has the bearing with snap rings installed..

Andy also verified that the shaft is held in the proper position solely by tightening the yoke nut. Tightening the nut on the yoke pulls the shaft through the oil pump and holds it in the correct position.

Back