• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New line of winches on the market. Any thoughts?

That's kinda why I started this thread. Do a real world assessment of a lesser expensive winch. In my experience it hasn't always been the case that spending more money automatically means better quality. It is the case more often. Time will tell and as I stated earlier I will continue to update this thread with issues or impressive experiences in regards to the winch. Hopefully this will be an exception to the rule. Fingers crossed.

:thumbup:

Thanks for being the guinea pig.

I like your setup, I have a multi mount that I don't use anymore it was on a mangler for a while. But your set up looks good do you have any approach or depature angles issues?

I am a staunch believer you get what you pay for. If you aren't a continual user and abuser of your winch a "budget" line winch might be ok. For me I am usually the rig that gets everyone out of trouble or over the obsticle. So I perfer a more "main" brand winch something I know will work after I completely beat the crap out of it.

I run a warn 8K on the Turbo Mangler and 12K Warn on the XJ. Which both have survived complete Virginia Mud submergion treatment followed by immediate PA coal dust, rock-mud put abuse with out cleaning or issue with heavy winching before and after. I had a Mile Marker on an older TJ... same treatment... but not the same outcome.. smoked the motor... and the solenoid pack. The main issue with Mile Marker, RC, and HF parts are hard to get in my experence.

I like your setup, I have a multi mount that I don't use anymore it was on a mangler for a while. But your set up looks good do you have any approach or depature angles issues?

I had a Mile Marker on an older TJ... same treatment... but not the same outcome.. smoked the motor... and the solenoid pack. The main issue with Mile Marker, RC, and HF parts are hard to get in my experence.

Here's the side shot of the winch showing the approach angle. I made sure I cut and welded the receiver as close to the bumper and as high as possible. It sticks out a little low and far for my liking but realistically I will not be wheelin with the winch mounted outside my rig. My plan is to pull it out only when needed. That way it will stay out of the elements to last longer and also not be a target for theft. Normally it will be kept in the back with some heavy duty tie down straps. Eventually I will weld up a reciever mount that will be bolted to the inside rear storage area floor. In regards to getting parts I questioned Rough Country on that same thing and they seemed extremely positve about honoring their warranty and getting replacement parts quickly. I also did some research on a few other sites like Jeepforum and found a couple guys who had some defective parts on their winch and were able to get replacement parts quickly and without issue. Great comments were found about their customer service as well.

DSC02276.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet. I think I am going to rig up my multi mount for use on my tow rig...
shopping for a trailer and have thought about using a RC on my trailer once I get it.

Sweet. I think I am going to rig up my multi mount for use on my tow rig...
shopping for a trailer and have thought about using a RC on my trailer once I get it.

I bought an extra Bull Dog quick connect and wired one end to my wifes WJ (only the rear reciever) just in case it needs a tug and I can't get to it with my XJ. I also wired my compressor to hook up to the quick connect so I can now run it front or back and don't have to pop the hood and connect it to the battery. That shaves a minute or two off airing up at the end of the trail.

Back