• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"New" Jeep mom could use some advice

This forum is a wealth of Xj information, I came here six or so years ago when my lock cylinder crapped out on my two day old to me 88. You are getting a lot of good info on the questions you asked. I will add that the search function on naxja is not always the best, so I prefer to google "naxja forum (my problem)" this will usually find me many threads on what I am looking for. As stated Joanne fabrics carries a quality headliner replacement material at a good cost. If you search there are also good threads related to the process. If in the end you feel the cost is with it, $35? Iirc, please join our merry band. Also if you haven't taken a peek at the Midwest chapter, I invite you to do so. There are a great bunch of guys and gals that live in Indiana.

Thanks for your advice. This forum is far more active and helpful than others.

It's interesting how I'd heard "you get what you pay for" then I've heard buy the cheap stock stuff. :laugh:

I am currently looking at Headliner fabric as I am replacing the headliner in my 2 Dr 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport. I don't suppose anyone would happen to know what size of fabric I would need? I am going to buy 4 yards just so I'll have more than enough and so I can recover the visors as well, I can't seem to find online where it says how wide of fabric I would need.

I believe I need 3/16th's inch foam backed and 60 inches wide, Could someone confirm this for me who's replaced theirs. Thanks

http://compare.ebay.com/like/180636314678?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y&cbt=y

As you can see there are a lot of different size options. :eyes:

I believe it was 58" exactly. i went with 60" and had enough to fold the edge and adhere to back side. i used a dough roller to smooth the fabric. applying to both fabric and board with approx 2minutes in between and was roughly 70*. came out great.
read specifics on.spray adhesive. some say automotive but not.good.for the backing boards... good luck

I live in Montana and haven't had an issue with ceramic pads. So I wouldn't worry about it. Usually if its that cold the roads are also slick, so breaking won't be that good anyway.

I prefer NGK for plugs, especially in the 00+ engines. Get a good set of all terrain tires, or even better dedicated snow tires if you will see a lot of snow. Put some weight in the rear for snow driving too. I would not recommend BFG ATs.

I recommend NGK plugs, Accell cap and rotor, Live Wire plug wires. I have that combo on all of my 4 XJ's and I never have any issues.

Thanks! Right to the point.

I have been on this forum for a few years. Best resource of all of them. I have also owned 3 XJ's a ZJ and a WJ.
Champs for plugs.
195 slant for t stat (higher flow when open)
Monroe shocks, Reflex or so.
BFG AT's
Green AF.

Given that your jeep is 2WD I would for sure invest some chains for short drives in really bad ice AND/OR an extra set of wheels and studded snow tires for longer day to day driving. A 2WD can def get around in the snow, but it just needs a little help with traction especially on a front heavy XJ.

Given that your jeep is 2WD I would for sure invest some chains for short drives in really bad ice AND/OR an extra set of wheels and studded snow tires for longer day to day driving. A 2WD can def get around in the snow, but it just needs a little help with traction especially on a front heavy XJ.

I can tell you are in AZ :D

I grew up in Indianapolis. You will not need chains, it doesn't snow that bad. 2WD is a downer, but not the end of the world. Just drive smart and remember that Indy folks forget how to drive during the first snow of the year :twak: Throw 3-4 50lb water softener salt bags in the back and you will have traction. If my mom could get a RWD van around town in the snow anyone can :D :D

All the above advice is on point; I'll reiterate Champion copper plugs, Stant SuperStat with a 1/8" hole drilled in it, budget shocks, and green antifreeze. If you decide to spend $$ on tires, go with the BFG AT. Great in snow and perform well in rain.

Never used a roller, but i do have one tip.
Go to the $.99 store and pick up a toilet brush woth a thin plastic handle. Snap the habdle off a few inches from th brush end. Put that in your cordless drill. Takes the old foam and glue rright off.

Never used a roller, but i do have one tip.
Go to the $.99 store and pick up a toilet brush woth a thin plastic handle. Snap the habdle off a few inches from th brush end. Put that in your cordless drill. Takes the old foam and glue rright off.

Very cool idea :thumbup:

Back