• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Guy...what to look for when buying an XJ?

1yellowjk

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys and gals..Dale here from Shreveport area. I just sold my Jeep (12 JK) and am in the process of looking to make a deal on a 99 XJ. It has a small 3" lift and a few things...what should I look for when inspecting her. I have owned a few Jeeps and turn my own wrenches, just not sure on what to look hard at.

BTW- A little backbround...22 years AD USAF, stationed at Barksdale, 2 kids, 2 dogs and 1 wife.

Thanks.

#1 RUST
#2 where all is it leaking oil?
#3 umm ... Those were the main things I looked at on mine. Finding one without rust with more other problems is pretty much always better than one with everything working in perfect order and rusted out.

I think there is a thread in the FAQ section with more details. I would go searching for that if I were you.

99 is considered a good year to get.

When you are test driving it, make a list of everything you notice that is wrong with it and look up how much the parts cost to repair it. I was able to talk the place (little mom and pop shop) down $2500 on mine.

WELCOME!!!!!

Thanks...

I'm trading a lifted pop-up camper for it....he's probably getting the better deal, but my wife is tired of it sitting in our driveway...and I miss having a Jeep.

welcome, i always look for alot of new parts. like all the cooling system being replaced. or new battery, starter, cables, and still no start. just stuff like that, normally i can get an idea of how well taken care of the vehicle was or wasnt

welcome, i always look for alot of new parts. like all the cooling system being replaced. or new battery, starter, cables, and still no start. just stuff like that, normally i can get an idea of how well taken care of the vehicle was or wasnt

He says it has new alt, starter and brakes...145K...looks to be pretty clean....interior is REALLY good with only the drivers seat a little worn....thinking I might pull the trigger after the holidays.

Thanks for the input.

Won't be much rust on a LA Jeep. 3" lift isn't enough to cause any problems, but drive it and listen/look for vibes on acceleration, braking and just cruising at different speeds. get it up to hiway speed.

none of that is a deal killer, but maybe you can get him to add cash

I'm going after New Years to pick up...seems to be about an even trade if it's like he says. I got a little more info on it....has upgraded ball joints, track bars, Spartan locker in the front, open in the rear, winch, aftermarket bumpers front and rear, Rough country lift. I'll be using it for a trail only rig so I think it might just be right. I'll post some pictures if I pick it up. Thanks for the input guys.

So I picked her up the past weekend and got her in my garage. Drives great, leaks some oil around the pan (nothing bad) needs tires and some better lift. It has 33's on it right now but seems really small. Has the rough country lift with the heavy duty lower fronts, fuel tank side plate, bumpers and winch. When they cut out the rear to make room they didn't do the fold so there are open areas in the rear quarter panel..I need to fix. I need to get it out top barnwell and play. Oh it has the 8.8 in rear and the 30 with 44 knuckles. (at least I was told it does) I'm thinking my first mod will be to add some type of cage inside. Inputs on what to do next are welcome.

New to you rig, go over all the hardware and bushings. Make sure the winch is in good working order. Change the fluids, or least check level and condition... don't forget the diffs. Other than that, throw up a pic so we can see what you're dealing with and tell us what you want to do with it and how far you wanna take the build.

Sounds like a sweet deal, congrats!

So I picked her up the past weekend and got her in my garage. Drives great, leaks some oil around the pan (nothing bad) needs tires and some better lift. It has 33's on it right now but seems really small. Has the rough country lift with the heavy duty lower fronts, fuel tank side plate, bumpers and winch. When they cut out the rear to make room they didn't do the fold so there are open areas in the rear quarter panel..I need to fix. I need to get it out top barnwell and play. Oh it has the 8.8 in rear and the 30 with 44 knuckles. (at least I was told it does) I'm thinking my first mod will be to add some type of cage inside. Inputs on what to do next are welcome.

Oh I meant 8.25 in the rear..I wish it had 8.8 :)

This weekend I'll throw some pics up and go through her with a fine tooth comb...since it will be in the mid 60's I won't freeze my butt off in the garage.

i wanna see these 44 knuckles on a 30 lol
bet its tera or wj knucks

Not sure how to even tell...I'll take some pictures.

I did get under it this weekend, the oil pan is leaking, that and the fact that I need to work on the brakes, they seem really mushy.

I bought an 220v welder (arc) and can't use it because my garage isn't wired for 220. so now I have to pay an electrician to come out and wire an outlet so I can do some welding on her. :(

Re: Re: New Guy...what to look for when buying an XJ?

Not sure how to even tell...I'll take some pictures.

I did get under it this weekend, the oil pan is leaking, that and the fact that I need to work on the brakes, they seem really mushy.

I bought an 220v welder (arc) and can't use it because my garage isn't wired for 220. so now I have to pay an electrician to come out and wire an outlet so I can do some welding on her. :(

Might as well replace that rear main seal while the pan is off.

Hey I went RED...I've done a lot to her, waiting on new brake lines and front springs, gonna get everything buttoned up before March. :)

Congrats going red!

Sounds like you're off to a smashing start. Looking forward to Pictures!

Back