• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Nasty front end noises only when 4wd is engaged

tkotitan

NAXJA Forum User
My rig: '94 XJ 2dr 5-speed SE. 4.0L, select-trac transfer case, which was replaced from a '96 unit 3 years ago.

Bear with me while I put this in perspective.

I have had this rig for 6 years, this was the first year I ran full synthetic oil in the engine and I like how the engine response is smoother. Also, my tires will need to be replaced this winter and I have been enjoying hot - rodding around on dry summer roads while I have them since I don't care about the tires anymore. Both rears are plugged and both fronts have uneven wear with the inside inch of the tread is bald. This happened due to u-joints which have both been replaced. I have been trying to maintain the front-end as best as I can over the years. I do need to do tires bad - I have a wheel balance issue at ~31 and 62MPH I think there is some mud in one wheel. it is just not a daily driver so it has not been fixed.

So, I have dummy lights and no tach, but enjoy taking it up to 25MPH in 1st gear and dropping into 2nd and squeal the tires a bit - gotta love the 8.25 with 3.08 gears. I redid shocks and springs last year and I have a good seat so I don't speed so much, but am enjoying my cornering and acceleration.

A couple weeks back, I must have done something to the front end when I came around a corner, taking a hard left and something started to make a popping noise. So I decided to cool it (yes I know, you have to pay to play). It wasn't doing anything at all, except when I hit that wheel-imbalance speed of around 30 and then I hear what sounds like a clicking crunch of thin sheet metal. No shake in the wheel, gas or anything so it is probably structural, as opposed to mechanical.

The sound is similar to the real problem I have, but the symptoms are different so I have to mention it. It may have started around that time when I first used the 4wd briefly, but I didn't think anything of it. I am talking about using 4-high.

So last night, at a friend's party we are all parking on the lawn and it's standard procedure for me to use 4-high on grass so I do not tear up my friend's lawn. I noticed the noise pulling in, and when I left, I had my friend stand there and listen as I made a slow-right turn on the lawn, then got out of 4 on the driveway. He said it sounded god-awful and I shouldn't use the 4wd. I could hear a similar clicking-popping sound coming from the front end, but it is hard to hear over the motor.

So, 2wd mode is fine, but if I am cornering at low speeds in 4H, I get this problem. Which makes me think it is not front-end or a CV joint. Last time I checked last month, the bell of the tranny looks a little damp, but it's not dripping spots of fluid on the driveway or anything. I may need to check the t-case fluid level, but I am wondering if this could be something else.

I will bring it to the mechanic is a week or so if I get the cash, and will drive it very little until then. I would just like everyone's best guess so I could know which way the wind is blowing.

Don't think it's the u-joints since they were done in the past couple years. Now I don't think it's related to whatever body shake I am getting some times.

I just tried the 4wd in the driveway last night and eased into gear with the clutch and not giving it any gas. It sounds like metal grinding/crunching without even steering - just gong straight. I hope this is just the T-case getting low on fluid and the chain is grinding.

Back