• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my home brew Cowl induction hood

Great work man. Maybe someday when I get my cherokee running I'll do this with my spare hood. I really like the intake on the other side. See too many cold air kits that people build which consists of a cone filter on a pipe sticking out beside the exhaust manifold. Also would there be anyway you could get a video of the sound it makes? Does it have any whistle to it, or is it a throaty sound? Have you noticed better low-midrange power and responce since routing and sealing your intake? Again great work.

Well besides the obvious hood not giving you 1st degree burns;

The throttle response is neck snapping even without cold air, it's setup for low end torque above all else and will break the 33's lose on dry concrete with only a mild goose of the throttle. It's hard to say it's improved... It was uncivilized and and whip lash inducing before, a ham footed take off at a red light feels kind of like somebody rear ended you, and has resulted in more than a few people "racing" me even though I wasn't trying to (what is up with big diesel hill billy work trucks wanting to race anything else with big tires?)

60 degrees cooler intake air, by the drag racing rule of thumb (That being a 1% HP increase for every 10 degrees cooler air charge) means 6% boost in HP, which on my 4.6L stroker with bored TB, Borla Long tube headers, hollow cat, Flowmaster, TB spacer, elevated fuel pressure, and relatively high compression should translate to about 12 HP...

That's a good number considering the cost of the hood and air box were negligible using steel I had around, and about 75 bucks in premium Auto paint, (that I wish I had not used). I should have duplicolored the sides and hit the hump with black satin to match my XJ's color scheme.

To give you an Idea in this recent pic:
clearcornersyx1.jpg

The grill is painted with Duplicolor Champagne metallic (factory match nearly perfect) and the hood is visibly lighter:

I could have monkey'd around more with the PSI settings when I shot paint but at 60 or 70 bucks a quart I feared running out before I had a couple good coats. So the "flop" wasn't right meaning it looks like a lighter shade from certain angles (that pic is lighter than it looks in person though).

MG2000XJ said:
Love the hood! How are the wheels?
Great, How's the private trail coming along? Did you get rid of your death wobble?

Thanks for all the compliments you all it's great to get such a positive response. Hopefully the testing data can put to rest a few debates. The cowl opening has a marked effect on underhood temps and I think helps the cooling system do it's job. Even when moving slowly it's a big heat vent. It is not at all effected by rains... as I've opened the hood after torrential down poors while on the freeway and there was nothing but a few spatters on the firewall.

This mod plus a good Air tube and high flow filter is probably worth somewhere around 25 HP...

In fact I know this may sound like I'm exaggerating but since I sealed it, it seems to be running too lean, acourding to my narrow band Autometer air/fuel it is running a lot leaner at cruise than it has the last year. I may go to 24# Mustang Injectors because my HESCO adjustable regulator is already pushing 44 pounds at idle with the vac hose disconnected. Of course it may be coincidence and my Fuel pump could be on it's way out from all the WOT blasts.

This weekend I might try and make a vid of a WOT run, if it captures the sound well I'll post it up, Oh yeah I forgot to mention that I have uncorked the "snorkle" (the PVC tube that runs between the firewall) and this pipes the sound inside... it is deafening in the cabin, while doing this air just BLASTS inside from the tube; with about 2 or 3 times the force of the air blower on max, this tells me that the low pressure at the cowl is actually creating some "ram air" effect.

Last edited:
MG2000XJ said:
Trails good, I think I got the dw figured out finally. You got any pics of those wheels mounted up?

Better late than Never eh? Here's your old Icons and BFG's on the MJ which is now sporting the cowl hood (I'm making a new and improved one for the XJ). Icons look good on MJ's :)
picture427mediumym4.jpg

picture452mediumcb8.jpg

I painted it, got a project thread about it on comanche club, at http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6389 it looks good but the pics make the paint seem better than it truly is.

It's a work truck, plans include metric ton tow package springs front and rear to get the 2250lb cargo capacity, Comanche D44 or 8.25, to replace the whiney 35 it has now. Some mild performance mods aimed at getting better MPG and a little more power out of the enemic renix 4.0.

Back