• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My 1st post and a bazillion questions !

DeezUU

NAXJA Forum User
Hey HEY hey! I'm Chris (aka DeezNutz) and I am a Jeep-a-holic. I've owned 2 TJs and a YJ and my fazsher has an XJ > WHICH leads me to this forum. I've come to like his XJ and am in the market for one for myself. Of course a 4X4 4.0l and I'm goin the 4door route (for the kids). But being of un-sound mind, I cannot leave well enough alone!! So here goes the 411?s !

OK,

I'm not building for the rocks or trails since I live near neither. I live at the beach and am going for the wide floating setup with 'most likely' 31X10.50s stretched onto 10" wide wheels. Most people on Jeep forums scoff at doing this, but it's how we do it in the OBX. Anyway, was curious if ANYONE is running this setup and what lift they are using. Will 4.5"s clear without major rubbing?

So since it's going to be a beach build, I am going doorless for that open aire cruising. Who makes tube doors? I've found these, but would like to see any other options.

And does anyone run around with the hatch off? Use a net or web back there? Got pics?

Now, running a 4.5".... will I need a SYE? I didn't run one on my YJ with 5" but also didn't flex it much. I don't plan on running my (soon to be) XJ up any RTI ramps.

I don't plan on getting so crazy where my XJ will nose over, but does anyone make a stinger for the Cherokee? I know ... poser item if you aren't gonna use it. But I loved the way my PoisonSpyder stinger looked on my last Jeep.

Back to the tube doors. (and this is more of a feeler plug). I was thinking of making some quick mount 'soft' doors. I have family it the apholstery business and have been in the talks with them about making me some (for the XJ that I don't have yet). Has anyone else ever thought of this? Doorless with quick weather protection. Am I a knucklehead?

Sorry for the longwinded 1st post! Just had alot on my mind. I've been browsing the forum for a few days and those were the questions of mine that I couldn't find answers for.

Thanx
:geek:

Can't answer most of the questions but I'll tackle one: ever wondered why wagons and hatchbacks need a rear wiper while sedans don't? Don't run a wagon with the hatch off. The low pressure zone behind the roof will suck exhaust, mud and sand right into the passenger compartment.

Matthew Currie said:
Can't answer most of the questions but I'll tackle one: ever wondered why wagons and hatchbacks need a rear wiper while sedans don't? Don't run a wagon with the hatch off. The low pressure zone behind the roof will suck exhaust, mud and sand right into the passenger compartment.

Excellent point, don't poison yourself or your friends!! :passgas:

Rustys makes a stinger for the XJ

RTI ramps and flex are not the main reasons for SYE, and at 4.5" and a newer style XJ (Post 97) its likely you will at least need a t-case drop.

3.5" lift will clear 31s, 4.5" clears it with almost no rubbing

CJ soft doors will fit an XJ perfectly, no need to upolster unless you want a upper half.

Carolina rock shop makes tube doors.

The hatch is up to you but I would leave it there and look more at a removeable glass option. Post 97 hatches are heavy for removing all the time.

Matthew Currie said:
The low pressure zone behind the roof will suck exhaust, mud and sand right into the passenger compartment.

I thought that's why you should always run with the windows down?:dunno:

Oh, and DeezUU, with your Bazillion question, we love to help, but remember SEARCH is a wonderful tool.

Haha ... lemme actually GET an XJ 1st ! Thanx for the info . I'm familiar with that wascally search button , but we all know if you don't word the search correctly .... you come up empty handed ! ( and yeah > I used it ) :)

The removed hatch was just something I was tossing around while the doors were off so poisoning the cabin wouldn't be an issue ( or would it ? ) but thanx for the advice on that . I'll steer clear of that.
:yelclap:

The doors will go back on in an instant if you work the hinges.

The hatch, once off, is pretty much off. Are you sure you'll NEVER want to put it back together?

Robert

Back