• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lunati Cam problem with stroker build

bajabronco

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Just to give people a heads up. The Lunati Vodoo cam #10680701 caused my #2 and #3 cam bearings to balloon out after only 2000 miles on my stroker build. It seems to be a problem others have had as well. I have since then replaced the cam bearings, but it was a total pain in ass.
4b3a64c44949bc0ae162c077b019aaa3.jpg

454dafe1794de9a885255ec447fdf952.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have not run my stroker yet. Still, in the kitchen. When I had my block machined, they replaced the cam bearings and 'fitted' them to my Comp Cam. Just wondering if your cam bearings were replaced etc.

What cam are you now running?

Any customer service to speak of from Holley?

I have not run my stroker yet. Still, in the kitchen. When I had my block machined, they replaced the cam bearings and 'fitted' them to my Comp Cam. Just wondering if your cam bearings were replaced etc.

Yes, Russ put in new cam bearings when he machined my block the first time.

BajaBronco,
Wasn't it you who did the thread on your stroker build with dyno results? From these pictures, yours is a 2000 Fed. I wonder if you are using the cast iron stock exhuast or a header? A head from Russ? Compression ratio? Did you use the cam bolt with the delrin nose?

Yes, that was me with the dyno results on the stroker. The cam only accepts the earlier style cam bolt with the spring button, so that was used with the proper timing cover. When I put the new replacement cam in I went with one that accepted the later style cam support. Yes, it is a 2000 engine. I am running the Banks headers for CA emissions (the 2 pre-cats) The compression ratio is 10.5 to1 with an aluminum Edelbrock head. Do know that Russ does not sell the Lunati cam with his stroker kits, that was a choice I made based on a recommendation from another friend. I just wanted the NAXJA family to be aware that the Lunati cam can have problems in strokers, and to be mindful of it. After doing some digging I did find that there were other people who had the exact same problem - #2 and #3 cam bearing going bad with the same cam.

Can you define/explain "ballooning"?

It has been 20 years since I worked for Holley. I can hope that things would have changed when they got rid of Jeff King and Jim Vance, but I have no fond memories of how that company operated.

It has been 20 years since I worked for Holley. I can hope that things would have changed when they got rid of Jeff King and Jim Vance, but I have no fond memories of how that company operated.

What does Holley have to do with this?

Your pics don't tell much, Are you trying to say that you were "hammering" them wider/thinner?

What does Holley have to do with this?

Holley bought Lunati as part of their buying spree that also included Hooker, Weiand, NOS, Earls...maybe more, I can't recall off the top of my head.

Wikipedia's article on Joe Lunati says the company belongs to Holley, but a Camaro Z28 forum says an investor group bought Lunati out from Holley in 2008. I would place more faith in a car forum than I would in Wikipedia.

If Lunati no longer belongs to Holley but is turning out junk cams nonetheless I would still say Holley ruined that brand.

Back