• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lopez Island Meet, Camp and BBQ

Hey guys its just lil ol me. right now things are lookin like i might be home in aug/sept timeframe. good enuf weather for it to cool off just a hair, but still nice and warm for bbq's, trail, etc. . . will keep you all posted.....have fun w/ the bbq, hope you get lots of people to show up. lookin forward to meeting all of you guys one of these days in the future. Weather here is getting hotter by the day, it would be great weather to go to the pool (if we had a pool). dont be suprised when i show up if i just stare in awe at indoor plumbing (its a major thing now, since i havent seen it in a year). and yes, good food is something i'll be gaping at also, after eating hadji bk and kbr for a year and a half straight

Well, keep us informed, and maybe we'll have another one when you get back.

Kinda one BBQ to bring in the nice weather, one to bid it farewell.

Steve

The way it's looking it might be our housewarming. Interest rates are going to go up soon so we're thinking about holding off on modding the Jeep and just getting a house instead. I'll be up at Glenn's but the July trip looks like it'll be out.

Speaking of housewarming...gonna have to refinish the hardwood floors in my new house this coming weekend. The following weekend is mothersday, so that leaves the weekend of the BBQ for me to move into my new digs. I will have to hold off till July to meet you guys :bawl:

My_Little_Pony said:
Well, this being my first post....am I invited???? My buddy and I might come on up with our xj's and of course can't go without the girlfriend and the mutt.
If you are considering join up with the chapter, you are more than welcome to come on out IMHO. Good way to get to know some of the people, as well as ask about what NAXJA is all about..... as well as food, beverages, good people, scenery, and more............

Glenn

Glenn said:
No trails, so if that is a must..... sorry.

Lopez Island is 12 miles long, 6 miles wide. Ferry leaves from Anacortes Wa (near Mount Vernon) (2 hours North od Seattle or so) and takes 45 min. or so to get here by ferry. Sight seeing and slower life is the big draw (no trails). We are in the "Bannana Belt) so much of the rain avoids us. In fact, it is pretty dry all things considered.

We have almost 2 acres here and plenty room for camping. There is also a hotel, as well as several Bed and Breakfast Inns on the island for thos so inclined.

I suggest a weekend be allotted for a trip out here, with one night (Saturday) an overnight.

Rough plan... arrive during the day Saturday (Fri Evening OK too), the earlier the better. Bring your Jeep if you like (would make a good photo Op), or the "other rig" :) Stay longer, or just the day...up to you. I suggest car pooling if possible to help with ferry wait times.

If you prefer to fly out (Kenmore Air does float planes..... great way to get here IMHO, but a little more $$), let us know in advance so we know how many to pick-up etc...

I have a smoker that makes a wonderful Salmon, ribs, steaks, chicken (built and delivered by my Dad... as published in the "FireHouse Food, Cooking with San Francisco's Firefighters", as well as a propane BBQ.

I am happy to arrange for fresh salmon, and some ribs. Steaks; I suggest you bring those from the mainland. Tri-Tip is perfect, or your preference. The grocery store closes at 7PM, so bring some beer, soda, beverage of choice. :)

Spouses and children welcome. We have a large trampoline, and various other things for kids to do. Wireless internet for those that need to keep in touch.... and access to our computers as well. May even consider a Live Web Cam, courtesy of www.sb-host.com :)

The main activity would be some sights of the island for those that want to. Otherwise.... firepit, camping, BBQ, and beverages.

The hard part is the week-end to do this. So.... for those interested, throw out some dates.
All are welcome, would be fun to make this happen. :)

Glenn
Beautiful place up there. Hven't made it there for 3 yrs, and miss it. I kinda liked shaw island. Even smaller, but the fransiscan nuns were always nice.

red91inWA a.k.a. scott f. said:
Beautiful place up there. Hven't made it there for 3 yrs, and miss it. I kinda liked shaw island. Even smaller, but the fransiscan nuns were always nice.
Hehe, yeah. Shaw is quaint. The Nuns are selling off many of their interests.... so no idea where that will be going. Maybe we can get the ferries to stop going there, and let private enterprise pick that up. :)
Glenn

Back