• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking to stroke 4.0 HO

Mart4b

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '91 xj with the 4.0 HO engine. I want to stroke it. I have an old AMC 258 engine for parts. Do I want crank and rods from the 258? Or just the rods? How about using the 258 long block with the 4.0 head and computer? I know I want to upgrade to '99-on intake. What else? Looking to make about 220 - 250 hp on regular unleaded. Is it really worth upgrading 1.6 rockers? Will #24 injectors mount in fuel rail without modification? What pistons / camshaft / etc do you recommend? Will be 95% or more on street with 1% towing. (But it will see plenty of snow) Planning to add 2-3 inches of lift and run 31's. May upgrade to full floating Dana 44 rear if I truly make a monster motor. Will I need to upgrade tranny / radiator / anything else too? Thanks for any advice.

Mart4b said:
I have a '91 xj with the 4.0 HO engine. I want to stroke it. I have an old AMC 258 engine for parts. Do I want crank and rods from the 258? Or just the rods? How about using the 258 long block with the 4.0 head and computer? I know I want to upgrade to '99-on intake. What else? Looking to make about 220 - 250 hp on regular unleaded. Is it really worth upgrading 1.6 rockers? Will #24 injectors mount in fuel rail without modification? What pistons / camshaft / etc do you recommend? Will be 95% or more on street with 1% towing. (But it will see plenty of snow) Planning to add 2-3 inches of lift and run 31's. May upgrade to full floating Dana 44 rear if I truly make a monster motor. Will I need to upgrade tranny / radiator / anything else too? Thanks for any advice.

Mart4b, Welcome aboard.!!!!!!

There is a lot to learn about a stroker build, many direction that you can choose and $$$$$ too Spent.
You need to start with doing some searches. there is plenty of discussion on this subject.
I will help you out with the first one.

This will open the door to what it will take to make it happen........Having the stroker parts is a vary good start.
Don't get started in this project until you under stand your option.

The first several post of this Link will give you a good base to ask more question that will be more specific to you chosen stroker.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=100351

There is several page in this decision's, and i recommend you read them all
After you have read this article, YOU will under stand why i didn't answer any of you question.:yelclap: :D

I'M NOT DISCOURAGING YOU QUESTION, JUST ENCOURAGE BETTER ONES:cheers:

Flash.

Thanks guys! Great to be aboard. I will check out all of these links. Lots of good info Dr. Dyno!

Last edited:
Back