• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lengthening a Drive Shaft?? Which one?

ryan13

NAXJA Forum User
I am in need of a longer rear DS after my SYE install and a stock front XJ/ZJ one is about 6" too short.

I know there is a 17" tube and 19" tube DS design. They both have different types of slips in them as well (one is splined, one is not).

Can anyone recommend which style is better/stronger?

I guess I'm confused. As far as I know, all driveshafts on XJs/ZJs used a splined slip on the driveshaft.

I thought the ZJ front driveshafts were an inch or two longer than an XJ auto one. Not sure though.

The only driveshafts that have a larger stub/slip but are still 1310 are the Durango/Dakota front driveshafts (IIRC) that use a 1.375" stub instead of the 1.250" that the XJ/ZJs used.

I guess I'm confused. As far as I know, all driveshafts on XJs/ZJs used a splined slip on the driveshaft.

I thought the ZJ front driveshafts were an inch or two longer than an XJ auto one. Not sure though.

The only driveshafts that have a larger stub/slip but are still 1310 are the Durango/Dakota front driveshafts (IIRC) that use a 1.375" stub instead of the 1.250" that the XJ/ZJs used.

You're right, I definitely described that wrong. On one of the shafts, the splines go all the way to the "tube" portion of the shaft. The other is just splined on the first 2-3" and then smooth the rest of the way to the shaft.

YDxkSSfwzwZCuX-ba6vtNrQ3bqMgUCGKsVsPdU2FxwozJ3WxMElhGan4GUijymPTrbhVXg=s170

"S" version vs "X" version

I'll grab some pictures later tonight.

I should also note that this is for my 98 ZJ. I know there a fair amount of XJ guys here who have had custom shafts made so I figured it was worth a shot asking here. My XJ was much easier to lift and deal with...

So its a 5.9/46RE/231 combo. I thought I was doing good by putting a SYE in it and turns out I made more work for myself. The front shafts I have in my possession now measure between 31 and 32" with about 1-1.5" of slip showing...I need the length to be around 38" with 1-1.5" of slip showing.

I should also note that this is for my 98 ZJ. I know there a fair amount of XJ guys here who have had custom shafts made so I figured it was worth a shot asking here. My XJ was much easier to lift and deal with...

So its a 5.9/46RE/231 combo. I thought I was doing good by putting a SYE in it and turns out I made more work for myself. The front shafts I have in my possession now measure between 31 and 32" with about 1-1.5" of slip showing...I need the length to be around 38" with 1-1.5" of slip showing.

Carolina Driveline may be your best bet. $161 shipped for a custom length/setup last time I used them.

Carolina Driveline may be your best bet. $161 shipped for a custom length/setup last time I used them.

Dave, I just called them. Price was definitely a bit higher than that but very fair so I bit the bullet and just bought one.

$227 for a long travel option vs the $200ish any local shop was going to charge me for just modifying my existing shaft.

Thanks!

Back