• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

John Bull question?

Motod6

NAXJA Forum User
Hey All

Currently have a 3.5" RE ,31', open diff's and no protection or sliders. I've got through White mtn, Gold mtn, and heartbreak ridge consistently without much problem or damage.

Is John bull doable for me without causing rocker damage? I've road my motorcycle through a handful of times and remember some very challenging sections where rigs were stacked up.

I've read some general trail ratings and recommendations but most say you need 33"s+, 1+ lockers, and a protection to do black diamonds. We know that's not always true so I'm just looking for some real life recommendations. Like
"no you cant get past the gate keeper without doing damage".

Thanks in advance for the help

If your jeep is nice and you don't want rocker damage, you probably shouldn't try it. I was on 35s with a 4.5" lift and still destroyed my rockers, mostly due to picking a bad line though. There is a reason its rated a black diamond.

Is it doable on 31s, ehh.... probably, but you are going to have a long frustrating day and you gotta really pick your lines. I also would most definitely not do it alone. The rest of the trails you mentioned don't compare to JB. While JB isn't consistently hard throughout its entire length, it does have its spots where it gets difficult and the situation can get hairy quickly. Particularly in the first 1/4 mile when you are climbing up after the gatekeeper.

You cant get past the gate keeper without a high risk of doing damage.

You could probably do the "easy" east side of JB from 3N02 to 3N32 on 31's. I was on it with 31's 2 weeks ago and it was rough but doable. It's a whole different trail on the other side, though. Good luck.

31s and open diffs isn't the problem, it's the unprotected areas of a rig without any armor.

Hey All

Currently have a 3.5" RE ,31', open diff's and no protection or sliders. I've got through White mtn, Gold mtn, and heartbreak ridge consistently without much problem or damage.

Is John bull doable for me without causing rocker damage? I've road my motorcycle through a handful of times and remember some very challenging sections where rigs were stacked up.

I've read some general trail ratings and recommendations but most say you need 33"s+, 1+ lockers, and a protection to do black diamonds. We know that's not always true so I'm just looking for some real life recommendations. Like
"no you cant get past the gate keeper without doing damage".

Thanks in advance for the help

I have done it with 31 and open diffs, a few spots had to stack a couple of rocks(make sure to unstack them when you are done) but it is very doable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk2djX8qM-0

Last edited:
He picked some really bad lines.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Me and the captain did it open/open stock gears, we had sliders(got used plenty), 33s, roof rack(for the tree at the top) and did it in a pretty decent time frame. I wouldn't go without sliders for sure. That guy in the ZJ thought a RTT and LED bar were more important then sliders and found out the hard way...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got the impression that light bar was for wheeling on a summer's eve.

Back