• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jerky gauges

SV1CEC

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

I have an 1984 2.5 lt XJ.

I have a small problem with my gauges, specifically the oil pressure one and the voltmeter. They both seem to work in a ... not so swift way. In other words, the deflection they show is not linear, they seem to be jumping around. Also, both of them seem to show excessive readings. The oil pressure one was reaching the 80s, while the voltmeter enters the red zone, above certain engine speed. I changed the oil pressure sending unit yesterday, and it seems as if the readings are a bit lower now, but still it goes above 70 sometimes and it is still jumping around. The two left side instruments (temp and fuel) seem to be unaffected, they work as they are supposed to work. As for the voltage, the alternator is new, installed maybe 6 months ago.

Can the problem of the two right instruments be something related to the dashboard wiring?

Also, I have access to a 4.0 lt Commanche cluster. Can I remove mix-and-match instruments from the two clusters and use the new one in my truck? What instruments from the new cluster are unusable in my truck?

Thanks and regards
--------
John

Back