• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeepers in Hawaii

Well I'm out here till the 22nd on my honeymoon! Rented a wrangler and I'm itching to wheel.

Let me know ASAP if you want to go!

About 10 years ago there was a member on the big island, over around Kona if I remember right. I was going to stop in and see him on one of my trips.

I'll be on the BI in October, hope to get a "SUV" from the rental company again. Last time had an XTerra, which was better than nothing. Got to a couple of beaches - still have more we need to do off pavement. Make take a few days over to Kapoho as well. Uplandhawaii, maybe we can connect?

Also, anyone on Lanai? We'll be there for 6 days, and will have a stock TJ for use.

Would also love to talk to anyone living on the islands, as we are considering whether we could swing retiring there in 4-6 years.

David Bricker / SYR

Hey Elevate hit up OahuJeepers on facebook, see if one of the guys can put you on a pass and hit Peacock Flats. If not hit Kaena point side.

David yeah drop me a line if I'm off when you're here I can show you some rental friendly wheeling areas.:shhh:

I frequent Kapoho a lot for fishing, down the coast from there is some spectacular easy wheeling on lava cliffs at the waters edge.

Hey Elevate hit up OahuJeepers on facebook, see if one of the guys can put you on a pass and hit Peacock Flats. If not hit Kaena point side.

David yeah drop me a line if I'm off when you're here I can show you some rental friendly wheeling areas.:shhh:

I frequent Kapoho a lot for fishing, down the coast from there is some spectacular easy wheeling on lava cliffs at the waters edge.

A TJ is coming with the house we're renting in Lanai Oct 14th-21st. Then, we are coming to the BI. Waikoloa area 21st-26th, hoping to get a 4wd from the rental company. Moving over to Kapoho 26th-29th. Not sure if we'll have the same vehicle of something different. Wouldn't mind connecting with any NAXJA folks in the area. We're staying at Kapoho Beach lots the 26th -29th.

David Bricker / SYR

Sent you a pm, hopefully we can connect and talk story.

I received it, thanks. This trip is all about doing nothing, so sitting back with a beer or three and doing some fishing sounds just about the right speed.

David Bricker / SYR

Been on Lanai now for three days - three more full days to go. The TJ that came with the house (I know, I wish it was an XJ - much easier to pack) has done OK. It is nice that it has the AX-15; easier to crawl, since the wife doesn't are for wheeling.

The beach today was great - we had it completely to ourselves for the day.

Tomorrow, we might not touch dirt, but Saturday will have about 80 miles of dirt, which is hard to do on Lanai. Never come to Lanai without having access to 4WD.

Still hoping to get a 4wd on Kona, then keeping it as we move over to Kapoho side. I'll be in touch next week, when we get to BI.

David Bricker / SYR - LNY

Hey Dave that buddy I have in Waikaloa is on the mainland so he won't be able to take you out. Hit me up and I can give you directions to a few nice spots that you can do solo.

Managed to talk my way into a 4 door JK with 35,000 miles and a few scars. Works perfect, I've got the Loss Damage Waiver, and the thing isn't pristine to begin with.

Now, I hope to be able to keep it as we move to the other side of the island on Saturday.

David Bricker / SYR - KOA

Hey Dave head out to kohala on the Hawi road. When you get to mile marker 7 on the ocean side of the road look for any turn off headed to the ocean. Take a cruise down there. Mild wheeling but pristine water and areas you can have all to yourselves. Some small blacksand beaches, the wheeling to the spots is slow going. Watch for the keawe trees and thorns, they are like nails.

Hey Dave head out to kohala on the Hawi road. When you get to mile marker 7 on the ocean side of the road look for any turn off headed to the ocean. Take a cruise down there. Mild wheeling but pristine water and areas you can have all to yourselves. Some small blacksand beaches, the wheeling to the spots is slow going. Watch for the keawe trees and thorns, they are like nails.

Is that near Mahukona Beach Park, and Lapakahi State Historic Park? This is on highway 270, on the far northwest edge of the islan, about 7 miles from Hawi. Hawi is one of our favorite places to walk around, and the best Loco Loco I've ever had.

My sandals discovered the Keawe thorns on the Lanai beaches.

Yeah but way before Lapakahi, its right after that little shopping center, maybe 5-10minutes down the road. If you climb the small guard rail hill near the 7mile marker you go straight down and to the left is a nice pebble beach. Normally no one is there on weekdays.
BTW that loco moco! You should try the one from Coconut grill its good too!

Yeah but way before Lapakahi, its right after that little shopping center, maybe 5-10minutes down the road. If you climb the small guard rail hill near the 7mile marker you go straight down and to the left is a nice pebble beach. Normally no one is there on weekdays.
BTW that loco moco! You should try the one from Coconut grill its good too!

Found the road today. Was running late, so didn't go down. We spent the afternoon at Kahua Ranch, running UTVs all over the place.

That road had me questioning whether I'd get back up without lockers. It was fairly steep and looked pretty loose. The tires on the rental JK are pretty worn, and are passenger tread. We'll add the road to our list for next time.

Heading to Kapoho tomorrow. Can guarantee we'll have a fairly late start, but I'll try and give you a call sometime tomorrow, and see what your schedule looks like. If nothing else, you could come by our rental place in Kapoho and have a beer. I'll be getting my growler refilled with Kona Koko Brown tomorrow.

Back