• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Instrument panel change

voudoux

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone in North Carolina changed their instrument panel from the one without tach and few gauges to the better one with tach and gauges? If so did you have much trouble with the state inspections or DMV? This is on a 1998 xj. How did they handle the odometer reading? I want to change mine but do not want to cause any problems with those folks! Thanks

No, it doesn't work like that. Your best bet is to ask around for someone with a cluster that closely matches your mileage.

What mileage do you have on your old cluster? I might have something for you.

Do they check you mileage? I don't have inspections here so it's no big deal. I'd imagine that you'd have no problem unless it looks like you've rolled your mileage way back at inspections.

Before I started reprogramming them I would take a picture of the VIN on the dash, the existing gauge cluster in place with the new one in frame, and then a picture of the new cluster installed with the old one in frame. Then write out a document detailing the mileage difference.

I don't believe you'll have any issues. I had my jeep inspected one year and it only had 98000 miles on it. The guy entered it in the system as 198000 miles. The next year it was entered at 125000 miles which was accurate. I have had no repercussions come up from this but, mine is a 92 so it'd OBD1 so I don't know if that makes a difference when they are entering the information.

Alexia, can you also change the vin number? I understand it is also in the instrument cluster. Thanks

Correct, that can also be changed. The only way to read that VIN out of the gauge cluster is a factory scan tool though so it is not like any government inspection station will be able to do it.

I was faced with this before I fixed my speedo problem. Odometer was out for about a year and I was concerned that the inspection place would see my mileage didn't move. I happened to fix the issue before inspection, so it looked like I barely drove last year, but I did call the inspection place before I fixed it. He called the DMV and basically told me they will just reset the mileage to zero. And send you on your way.

Haven't had to go through it on the jeep but I did go through it with a motorcycle. Had to replace the speedo with another because of a broken gauge. Got it inspected no problem.

If you sell the jeep you'll see there's a spot on the title for speedo corrections. All in all, your and my jeeps are old enough to people don't usually care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you sell the jeep you'll see there's a spot on the title for speedo corrections. All in all, your and my jeeps are old enough to people don't usually care.

Some states like Alabama does not care either. After ten or fifteen years they stop putting the mileage on the title at registration and just put in "EXEMPT".(Note: I only know this to be true when the title is transferred.)

Thanks for the replies and info, the Jeep was inspected last week ,ask inspection man he said it would not make any difference if they did not match (mileage). don't know if he is right but still checking. Thanks

The only thing it would really be flagged on is a Carfax report as "possible mileage fraud" or however they word it. NC DMV won't care. And let's be honest, who's buying an XJ these days and running a Carfax report beforehand?

The only thing it would really be flagged on is a Carfax report as "possible mileage fraud" or however they word it. NC DMV won't care. And let's be honest, who's buying an XJ these days and running a Carfax report beforehand?

Guilty :rof:

Just wanted to know the history on it.

Installed gauge cluster very easy install works great,made notes of mileage on each and difference between. Thanks for the help.

Back