• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How worried should i REALLY be

There are no wires, it's a rail that sits on top of all the plugs with the wiring built in.

1/6, 2/5, and 3/4 are fired simultaneously - basically, regular waste-spark setup. The cylinder on the power stroke and the cylinder on the exhaust stroke are fired together.

Do these even have wires, or just a coil on the plug ends?

Is their one coil pack for 3 cylinders, 2, or one cylinder on the late jeeps?

A bad coil pack sounds like a possibility if it feeds just 1 & 2? But are you saying one coil pack feeds 1 & 6? If so now I get it, I see what you are getting at!!!
Lol.. no wires, and not the usual COP. Its one large rail that sits on top of the plugs with 3 coils in epoxy feeding 6 cylinders. Its a stupid design, thanks to Mercedes. There are 4 wires going into the rail. One + and 3 grounds from the PCM. One for 1&6, on for 2&5, and one for 3&4.

Thanks for all the information.

I'll take a closer look when I get back from holiday travels.

I wish everyone a great holiday and a wonderful New Year!

How worried should you be? About as worried as you would be over $500 or so. With your current training and previous experience, I assume you own a torque wrench and would have the ability to swap in a new, improved head from Clearwater or other reliable source.

Look for applesauce / milkshake on your oil cap.

newhead01.jpg

If you want to test further, pull the valve cover off and clean the valley between the 3rd and 4th cylinders. Use a coolant system pressure tester to pressurize the system and look for hairline cracks or weeping.

0331crack.jpg

Seems to me that with you worrying so much it would give you great peace of mind to go ahead and replace the head before a problem occurs. You do run the risk of damaging the bottom end if you start getting coolant in the oil. But then again I have a Renix.

Yea. I've been thru Cruisers info- a lot. I also have an extensive
collection of AMC service manuals for my '89. I fought thru the ground issue. I'm lucky I don't have the C101 connector to deal with as it was done away with before mine was built. I've also been spending a great deal of time doing upgrades to do away with most of the built in problems.

replace them with NGK. 00+ engine really like the NGKs better.

I seem to remember a TSB specifying NGKs for the 00-01, but darned if I can find it.

I seem to remember a TSB specifying NGKs for the 00-01, but darned if I can find it.

I don't know if there is a TSB, but they are OEM. I had tried the Champion truck plugs on my 2000 and the idle just wasn't as nice and the NGKs seemes to help with the heat soak problem. Even though the heat soak is in the injectors.. go figure.

Back